1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Scoop's Vegas Column TRUMPS Whitlock's

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Sportsbruh, Feb 21, 2007.

1. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

OK, those defending/criticizing Scoop's writing in vernacular, I have a question. How would you react if ESPN was employing a writer from the Deep South that covered NASCAR and wrote in Southern slang, writing things like, "Did y'all see Jeff Gordon durin' qualifying last weekend? Sure looked like somebody done lit a fire under his britches."?

Would this just be writing that "works for his target demographic" or would it be ignorant writing?

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Depends, does he talk about all the pride that swells up when he sees the confederate flag being waved?

3. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Well, doesn't that pride go without saying? For all of us? I see a confererate flag, and I feel so prideful that I wet myself.

4. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I'm from Oklahoma, which is kind of the wannabe South, so I get to like all the Southern stuff I want and still hate the Confederacy.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

The language may be the language that some speak, but as in the rest of life, if you want to be listened to, you first have to be understood.

I feel no societal need to reach out and learn every language spoken in America just so I can be more understanding. English is the language, not ebonics (or Spanish, or German, etc.) and if you don't speak it, I'm going to have a hard time helping you.

6. sports scrub

sports scrub Member

well said

7. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

Scoop has the MASTERS DEGREE - Jason barely ascertained his B.A.

I think Scoop knows himself better than Jason.

People who know themselves, and are much more content within themselves. They don't go around CREATING enemies to get attention.

Bottom line: Jason wanted to be ESPN's Houseboy and wanted Scoop (the renegade Darkie - making waves) banished from the plantation. Espn didn't act fast enough so Jason OVER-REACTED and found himself on the outside looking in.

This happens all the time with women.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So, whitepages, are you saying that Whitlock wants to be the maid?

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

And now we're comparing college degrees? You've sunk pretty low if this is the direction in which you try to make your point.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Hey, Alley, have you ascertained your online PhD yet?

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

All the education in the world doesn't make that column any less a piece of shit. I know plenty of people with masters degrees in journalism who can't write and a few who never finished college that became damn good reporters.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'd say ignorant writing, just like Scoop's.

Draft saved Draft deleted