1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why "preps" when talking about public schools?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Nathan Scott Phillips, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Nathan, I went to a private school that was Roman Catholic. It was dubbed a prep school. It may be different in the States, but here the private, religious schools are dubbed as prep schools.

As a writer who covers the schools, I have never referred to private schools as prep schools though. I think it is a slang term.

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Metro in town called them "scholastic sports" once upon a midnight dreary. Always made me think of the magazine.

3. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Shoot, at our paper, we have a once a week "Preps Page" -- in big bold letters at the top.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Oxford English Dictionary says "prep" is U.S. slang meaning "to attend a prepatory school, be a prepatory school student". First used in 1915.

F. Scott Fitzgerald popularized it in 1920's This Side of Paradise, writing, "Where'd you prep?" (The answer is Andover, BTW.)

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Copy editors will do anything to salvage one-column heads. Such as preps. And such as using win as a noun.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

"Prep" got removed from our in-print vocabulary by the SE a long time ago.

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Prepatory?

8. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Does the NY Times still call it "School Sports" in headers?

9. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

High school coverage is "preps"
    NFL coverage is "perps" (Vick, Pacman, etc.)
    Still working on college jargon.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Crips.

11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I've been at places that do it both ways, and once had a weekly section with Preps as a prominent part of its name.

No big deal, to me, but I don't like using "win" as a noun when most don't care, so whatever floats your style boat.

Draft saved Draft deleted