1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why people don't like the media

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jr/shotglass, Aug 6, 2016.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Because nobody likes facts because some of them inevitably challenges our opinions.

3. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

We know they talked to at least one sj poster.

“The people who read theTimes might be the same people who would tell a pollster that the media is unreliable, but they’re deeply devoted to the New York Times.”

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

A lot of people don't read much anymore.
    Getting their news from TV just makes this worse.
    And news off Facebook doesn't count as reading.

Tweener likes this.
  5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Lots of good points and interviews in there (I'll have to finish later).

The woman from the Walla Walla (Wash.) paper made some great points about smaller dailies, including this passage about how smaller staffs mean less enterprise/in depth stories:

"I’m going to do this series on families that have lost their kids to drugs. I’m going to have to just work on it piecemeal, as I can — instead of diving in and staying under, which I think serves that kind of piece better. Because when you constantly have to climb out of the pool, you have to go back and figure out where you’ve already swum and what temperature the water is again. Things that occur to you while you’re writing, that you didn’t somehow message yourself about, are lost often.

How do you think it affects readers when you write fewer of those stories?
    I think people with that kind of story to tell are less hopeful that they can get something done by the paper, so then I think they seek other venues. So then it’s a long Facebook post, or it’s a different paper … It does damage the public’s institutional history, so to speak."

the whole interview: The Walla Walla Union-Bulletin’s Sheila Hagar on What’s Wrong (and Right) With the Media

6. jr/shotglass

One thing hit me down in the Trump section.

If fairness and balance is supposed to be one of our goals, how is the media to practice that when the leaders of the industry (well, David Simon, but anyway) matter-of-factly toss the GOP candidate off as "a ridiculous premise"? I mean, he is, but it gets dangerously close to blatant liberal bias.

And later in that section, a former Breitbart spokesperson says this:
    I mean, if that's who we're going to be, that's who we're going to be. But if that's who we're going to be, we might as well forget journalism as we once knew it.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
    Batman likes this.
  7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Calling Trump a horse's ass isn't liberal bias. It's the truth.

Accusing someone of bias in coverage implies equality among the subjects. That's not the case here. Republican or Democrat, Trump's candidacy is objectively ridiculous and insulting to this country.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Fairness doesn't mean you can never be critical. Some people deserve criticism fairly.

9. jr/shotglass

Yeah, I can see that. Fair enough. Of course, like Rick said earlier, if the Trump people are hearing the media present unflattering facts about their candidate for months, yes, they're going to hate the media. They may be wrong, but that doesn't change the opinion.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
  10. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

But, you can quote others calling him a horse's ass instead of editorializing over and over about it.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

See also: You only cover us when we lose.

Yes, a vital part of sj.com snark, but close to the truth.

12. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

The media alwas disses the Republican candidate. Many can't deal with it and fold. Others have enough self confidence to overcome it. See Reagan, Bush. We are now left with Trump because the media was complicit in tearing the other 16 candidates down.

old_tony and Long Snapper like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted