1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why no mention of this Steelers' story?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DwightKSchrute, May 18, 2009.

1. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

I vote for hooligan

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Harrison is a better player than Porter IS.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Pardon my grammar, but I'm sure that must be difficult for a Dolphins fanboy to admit. :)

4. It's a joke gang. Maybe you could tell by the smile on his face, or that darned transition of "No, really" and then the real reason he isn't going. James isn't really one for being on camera without his helmet on. He realized his joke was falling flat, and stopped the joke.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcnorth/0-2-534/Video--Harrison-rejects-White-House-visit.html

5. Simon_Cowbell

Pardon my poor communication. Bad job by me.

I meant that Harrison is not better than Porter WAS.

6. outofplace

Have to disagree with you there. Porter was a heck of a player, but most of his big plays were a product of a defense designed to get him free. Harrison actually beats offensive tackles one-on-one with regularity. He doesn't need exotic schemes to get to the passer. He gives that defense options that they didn't have with Porter. That was the difference in the Steelers' pass defense in '08. They were able to run fewer all-out blitzes because Harrison and Woodley are so hard to block.

Harrison is also a better run defender than Porter ever was. He is just a more physical presence. That isn't a knock on Porter at all. It is just a reflection on how good Harrison has become.

7. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Oh, boy. Here we go again. Willie Parker revisited.
    Joey Porter was an important contributor to some great Steelers teams, including the 2005 champions. And he certainly sustained his excellence over a longer period of time than Harrison has to this point. But Joey Porter at his best was never as good as Harrison was in 2008. Never. Harrison dominated. Porter never owned a season like that.

8. Simon_Cowbell

Maybe I'm wrong.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Porter (my Tebow, I am defending this clown) did not have many years of Polamalu roaming the secondary or Woodley coming from the opposite side.

I's tough to compare.

10. If he really wants to make it interesting he should snort some coke and then go ...

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. outofplace

That does surprise me. I know how much you dislike Porter.

I don't think it really is that hard to compare if you watched most of their games, which I'm sure you have. Porter never had the strength to take on and beat blockers the way Harrison does.

Porter actually played with Polamalu for four years. He also had Jason Gildon rushing from the opposite side from 2000-2003. Gildon was a far more established threat by then than Woodley was last year.

Porter never had more than 10.5 sacks in a single season with the Steelers. Harrison had 16 last year. I doubt Harrison will match Porter's longevity because he was older when he became a starter, but he was better in '08 than Porter ever was.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :D

Draft saved Draft deleted