1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why no mention of this Steelers' story?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DwightKSchrute, May 18, 2009.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

"Thug" means "scary-looking black dude" to a lot of people. It's rare for a white athlete to get the thug label.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Kevin Greene always struck me as somebody who had it in him, though I don't remember ever hearing about him busting down a door to get at his girlfriend.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Agreed. I know plenty of people who use the word that way. Irritates me to no end.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Any defensive player worth his salt has it in him. It's about controlling it.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'm not saying Harrison is or isn't a thug. I'm just saying that's the way the word is used by a lot of laymen.

It's a code, kind of like suburban high school coaches using "athletic" to describe inner-city teams with a lot of blacks on the roster.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I get that, Inky, though I was wondering if I should take that a little personally since I'm the one who used it on this thread and I did so because of the man's behavior.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

And I have yet to hear of a "scrappy" or "gym-rat" inner-city player as well.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

9. JackReacher

I've never heard anyone refer to Ryan Leaf as a thug. Many other things, but never a thug.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Doesn't mean it's not accurate.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  11. JackReacher

I agree. Just that I haven't heard anyone use that term with him before. It's obvious you, and others, have.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Just leave him alone! All Right!?

Draft saved Draft deleted