1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why no mention of this Steelers' story?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DwightKSchrute, May 18, 2009.

1. DwightKSchrute

DwightKSchrute New Member

There were some posters here who wanted to read all about Willie Parker attending a minicamp (stop the presses!).

This is an interesting story about James Harrison not attending the White House ceremony for the Steelers.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4174143

My favorite quote: "If you want to see the Pittsburgh Steelers, invite us when we don't win the Super Bowl," he told Pittsburgh's WTAE-TV. "So as far as I'm concerned he would have invited Arizona if they had won."

He's not really this dumb, is he?

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Why don't they do a story on all the players who will attend?

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Why would you single out James Harrison for not wanting to go to the White House? There should be about 50 separate stories on each of the other players who are going.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Quickest. D_B. Ever.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Yes, I believe he is.

Harrison is a thug and he is far from the brightest of bulbs. The man is a hell of a football player, but he ain't exactly somebody I'd want to sit down and have a beer with.

This must drive Dan Rooney nuts, not just because he is a big supporter of President Obama, but also because it is plain stupid.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Joey Porter's shoes are being filled in so many ways.

7. outofplace

Harrison is a better player than Porter, but not nearly as interesting when he speaks.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

What exactly is a thug? I'm asking seriously.

9. outofplace

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/thug

Check out the first defintion
    1. a cruel or vicious ruffian, robber, or murderer.

Perhaps it is a bit of hyperbole on my part, but "vicious ruffian" works. The issue with his girlfriend last offseason comes to mind. The guy seems to have anger management issues. I have seen stories that suggest that this is the real reason he had so much trouble catching on.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

That's cool. I was just wondering. I've heard people throw around that phrase before, and I get the general meaning. Just wasn't sure what made Harrison a thug.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I think "fool" might be a better description.

12. outofplace

Understood. It's a good question. It also helps me illustrate why I disagree with 93Devil on this one. A fool simply indicates that the guy isn't very smart, which may be true. I think Harrison also has a real nasty streak and sometimes he fails to save it for Sundays.

Draft saved Draft deleted