1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why no AQ attacks? Maybe ... because of Bush?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Lyman_Bostock, May 30, 2008.

1. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

I knew there was a reason I shouldn't click on this thread.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Frankly, I don't see why AQ would care if they killed U.S. soldiers or U.S. civilians. They just want to kill anyone who doesn't share their beliefs.

Who knows what would happen if we pulled out. The Sunnis and Shiites might get their act together, and have a workable country. Or, they might keep up their civil war, and the country would continue to suffer. Or, the Sunnis and Shiites get fed up with AQ and team up against them. Nobody has a crystal ball. Problem is, you can't believe a word out of Bush's mouth because the administration has botched this thing from the very beginning.

Thing is, like I said earlier, just because there haven't been any attacks on U.S. soil doesn't mean that one won't happen tomorrow. Anyone who gleefully points out that they should be elected because there hasn't been an attack in X amount of years better be prepared to look like a fool if something happens the next day.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

jesus christ do i ever hate this argument.

don't let your predisposition cloud your judgement. you're a smart guy, a very smart guy, but here's the answer anyway: unless the fucking definition of freedom and security have changed throughout the years, i'm guessing not only no, but hell no. the founding fathers wouldn't think differently today.

freedom is fucking freedom ... and if i were to decide to give up my freedoms overnight, it'd be to someone smarter than a god damned rock.

4. Exactly the point I was looking for while reading through three pages. We cannot sacrifice what makes this country great in order to protect the country.
    To me, it's an extension of "Give me liberty or give me death." This country was founded on the concept of liberty. If we give that up, we give the terrorists exactly what they want because we kill America, even if the citizens survive.
    And yes, I would rather have terrorist attacks in my homeland than to live in a society that is forced to give up one right after another. Sometimes that's the cost of freedom.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Ask the Israelis, if you want a reference.

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Handier targets? What a vomitous concept.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

What happens if the US pulls out right now? Total fucking chaos. You must know this. Say whatever you want in public to conservative friends, Bush and our fine Congress opened a fine Pandora's box over there, and it don't just close because we pull out our troops.

What I'm saying is: If we leave, we'd better square ourselves with what we leave behind. Whatever happens. In ten years, if it's a Middle Eastern Rwanda, we'd better be able to wash our hands of it.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

That's what I'm saying. Nobody can predict what will happen if, or when, we leave.

Thing is, the Repubs may be right when they say that if we leave, we may have a bigger problem on our hands. Problem is, they've used so many scare tactics through the years, it's like the boy who cries wolf.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Of course it's changed. I can't just go over to my neighbor's yard, say "get yer Injun ass off my property" and shoot him.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Reread Washington's Farewell Address sometime. It's a checklist for all the bullshit we're going through now. We have learned nothing from them. Zilch.

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Call this baiting, if you will, but I find it rather interesting that the originator of this thread is practicing a cut-and-run tactic here but throwing shit against the wall then scurrying away.

12. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Alley, you aren't the only one wondering about that.

Draft saved Draft deleted