1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why no AQ attacks? Maybe ... because of Bush?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Lyman_Bostock, May 30, 2008.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

A fine bit of logic if the AQ attacks had actually originated in Iraq, or been tied to Iraq. Otherwise, yeah. ::)

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

You can't get pregnant the first time, baby.

3. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Just the tip.

4. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

No, it's not possible. At least, if you believe the vast amount of reporting out there with clear evidence that Al Qaeda has grown stronger in other parts of the world, notably Afghanistan.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That brings up something I often think about.

We hold our nose and pick a friendship with Saudi Arabia.

But we cannot seem to do that with any other nation over there.

Saudi Arabia = friend.
    Iran - enemy.

Why?

The two nations are joined at the hip in about 10,000 ways. Except one pretends to be our friend. And the other doesn't.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Howzat ?!?

Saudi Arabia is Arab and Sunni, while Iran is Persian and Shia.

I suppose they'd be joined at the hip somewhere around Basra, if Kuwait didn't exist and Iraq didn't touch the Gulf coast.

Saudi Arabia is the Bush family friend, that's been documented. Beyond that is where you lose me.

7. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Google:

Mossadegh

Shah

CIA

Savak

Khomeini

Then Google:

Aramco

Prince Bandar

8. Frylock

Frylock Member

My point was that our forces in Iraq are much handier targets than civilians living in the U.S.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Why no AQ attacks? <i>Why no AQ attacks</i>?

AQ attacks Americans every day. In Iraq in Afghanistan. They've acocunted for the bulk of 4,000 solider deaths, and who knows how many deads Iraqis and Afghans.

Why spend years plotting bomb attacks when you can go toe-to-toe with the <i>best</i> America has to offer, and you can do it on your turf? Sounds like a pretty good case for martyrdom to me. And one hell of a jihad.

Do I think AQ has a "foreign service" branch? Sure. But let's be clear: It was eight years between the first and second Trade Center bombings, and there wasn't a war back in between to divert attention and bodies.

Beyond that, from a purely objective point of view, what is the <i>need</i> of another attack? They’re still reaping the dividends of 9/11. There's a <i>fucking war</i> in the Middle Fucking East because of it. And they're spinning the war to say <i>"see, everything we told you about these imperialist fucks turned out to be true."</i>Recruitment is through the roof, oil prices are through the roof, Iran is suddenly on the world stage for something other than Salman Rushdie, the Taliban gets to pillage and murder in the name of defending its country, Russia still makes out on illegal weapons sales, and gets no punishment, for W. still has a relationship with Putin's soul or some horseshit, and AQ actually finds sympathy in some circles because of some nimrod American soldiers who don’t know the first thing about, I guess, the most basic human rights.

AQ is the titular fruit swimming in the fudge sauce of a banana split. Couldn't be happier.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Scarcely one square mile of ground has been taken in Afghanistan since October 2001.

The poppies are back in the fields and the burqas have been refitted (and refashioned, maybe).

This has been a public service announcement.

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

As I heard someone, and I forget who (might just have been a friend of mine), say at one point, Ralph Nader would have bombed Afghanistan after 9/11.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

If we cave in and permit the terrorist dirtbags to provoke us into lowering our standards . . . the terrorists have won.

No laughing matter.

Draft saved Draft deleted