1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why no AQ attacks? Maybe ... because of Bush?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Lyman_Bostock, May 30, 2008.

1. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

You'll please note the words "at home" in my original post.

And if we're going to include attacks overseas, then we mention London and Madrid at minimum - at which moment the columnist's argument falls apart again, which was my first point. It's not much of a piece, because it presents no cause-and-effect evidence.

2. Grimace

Grimace Guest

So if we were attacked again, it would be OK to blame Bush. Right?

Look, it would dishonest to say he deserves no credit. Yes, he's done some things that have helped. No doubt. The roundup of high-level terror suspects shortly after 9/11 was a highlight.

But here's another question: Is the reason there haven't been any more attacks by Al-Queda proof that. . .AQ wasn't really as powerful and as much of a threat as others have proposed? They were one group of terrorists, ONE.

3. John

John Well-Known Member

Actually, Lisa said the rock kept tigers away. But your point still stands.

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Can it be suggested that Al-Qaeda needed the eight and a half years between WTC attacks to generate funds and new personnel?

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Been down this road, before.

Not interested in indulging this regime's protection rackets.

"Those who would sell their freedoms for a little security, deserve neither".

-- Benjamin Franklin

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I've read these type of quotes here, from time to time. And I wonder, are they really still applicable? I mean, Franklin didn't witness Pearl Harbor or 9/11.

I certainly understand what the quotes mean, but would the founding fathers think differently now?

7. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

It's a nice little racket for the Republicans.

For the next 3 months or so, we'll hear a lot about how America hasn't been attacked since 9/11.

Then, around mid-September or early October when it appears McCain is falling behind in the polls, we'll suspiciously hear news leaked of a vague but major terrorist plot against the U.S. and the alert level will go up to purple or whatever color means something really, really bad is going to happen unless you vote Republican.

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

They stood up against a tyrannical king under threat of hanging. I think they understood danger.

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Doesn't matter if they'd feel differently. A certain amount of truth rests within those words. And the power and threat of the British in the 1700s can be equated to the threats we face today.

Note: I'm not comparing the British of then to terrorists of today. Rather, trying to make the comparison of the threat.

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I'll give you that. Not to debate the minor stuff, but that's a much different type of danger, isn't it? I mean, the king was 10,000 miles away -- not really in their backyard. And he eventually just gave up after Yorktown a few years later. I don't think this enemy's going away so easily or quickly.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The thing that bothers me is when the Repubs boast that there hasn't been a terrorist attack since 9/11, and that they are being successful at keeping us safe.

Suppose there's an attack the next day/ What's their argument then?

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

The king's soldiers were, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted