1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why MLK was Republican . . .

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by RedSmithClone, Jun 8, 2008.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Well, thanks, Stevie. And I you. :D

2. old_tony

And you also think Al Gore and John Kerry are smart.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Depends on when you think the Baby Boom ended and Generation X began. The traditional sources trace it to when the United States started escalating military involvement in the Viet Nam conflict, but even then there's argument between dates in 1960, 1961, 1964 and 1965.

Here's a quote I stole from Wikipedia which helps not a bit:

<blockquote>While 1945-1965 reflect the post-World War II demographic boom in births, there is a growing consensus among generational experts that two distinct cultural generations occupy these years. The conceptualization that has gained the most public acceptance is that of a 1942-1953 Baby Boom Generation, followed by a 1954-1965 Generation Jones. Boomers and Jonesers had dramatically different formative experiences which gave rise to dramatically different collective personalities. Other monikers have been sometimes used to describe the younger cohort, like "Trailing Edge Boomers", "Late Boomers", and "Shadow Boomers". In his book Boomer Nation, Steve Gillon states that the baby boom began in 1946 and ends in 1960, but he divides Baby Boomers into two groups: Boomers, born between 1945 and 1957; and Shadow Boomers born between 1958 and 1964. Further, in Marketing to Leading-Edge Baby Boomers, author Brent Green defines Leading-Edge Boomers as those born between 1946 and 1955. This group is a self-defining generational cohort or unit because its members all reached their late teen years during the height of the Vietnam War era, the defining historical event of this coming-of-age period. Green describes the second half of the demographic baby boom, born from the mid-1950s through the mid-1960s as either Trailing-Edge Boomers or Generation Jones. In some cases the term Shadow Boomer is incorrectly applied to the children of the Baby Boomers; this group is more accurately referred to as Echo Boomers.</blockquote>

I've always considered the baby boom to have ended in 1960. Vietnam was the boomers' war, and given that Obama was too young to fight in it, I feel he's the first Generation X presidential candidate.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

They're smarter than our current Idiot in Chief. Bush's confirmed IQ is 125. Hell, mine is higher than that. Much higher. Maybe I should run for President in nine years.

5. old_tony

If you're for lower taxes and strong defense and getting rid of government programs that don't work, I'll vote for you. Hell, I'll work for your campaign.

6. I'm changing the subject, but do you think Bush is for those things?
    Maybe Reagan was, but this president doesn't seem to be.

7. Maybe I'm post-padding, but just to be clear...
    Bush is not a fiscal conservative. He spends wildly and took forever to veto anything. He might be for lowering taxes, but he doesn't seem to be for fiscal responsibility, as he wants to spend just as much (or more) than any past president.
    I'd argue our defense is significantly weakened because of the decisions he has made as Commander-in-Chief.
    I can't think of any programs he has even attempted to get rid. He did bring in No Child Left Behind (a miserable failure that goes against the conservative idea of state's rights by setting a national standard for schools) and is for government enroachment into abortion, gay marriage, etc.
    I'm obviously not a conservative, but it seems to me Bush isn't either.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

DemoChristian, why do you hate America? ;D

9. I blame my pinko commie parents who didn't follow the "love it or leave it" philosophy. If they had, I'd be speaking Russian right now, and be much happier.

10. old_tony

I think Bush has been way too spend-happy on social programs, which never seem to solve any problems.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

What problem has Bush actually solved? I can think of several he caused or exacerbated, but that's it.

And let's face it, when it comes to the problem he wants to define his presidency ...

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. old_tony

Any president who ever tries to get rid of any program will be ground into powder by all the special interest groups -- which are almost always greatly responsible for the programs being founded in the first place.

The government never gets rid of any programs. Once it's in, it's legacy. Name one program that was ever designed to fix a problem, fixed the problem and then was put away. Just one.

Government programs never work. How many trillions have we spent on eradicating poverty since the "Great Society" started? Worse, those programs not only didn't work, they made the problems worse. Now way too many people are hooked on government programs. America is just a bunch of government-program junkies.

Draft saved Draft deleted