1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why make this Olympic journey?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by slappy4428, Aug 8, 2008.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Why Make This Olympic Journey? Because I can't remember the last time I had to hit a deadline on consecutive days.

I'm not saying columnists should go - but in this era of "citizen journalists", you can't just be "joe tourist" writing on the back of a post-card. Visit some factories were sporting goods are made, find someone from your circ area who has strong ties to China and incorporate their experience with China with the country you are seeing.
    Heck, I'd almost go out of my way to run afoul of the local authorities just to write about how it feels to be detained and deported.

2. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

...because Mateen Cleaves and Morris Peterson said they would be here.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I agree with your basic point here, Mizzou, but I think you have to cut the guy a little slack considering he had probably only just arrived halfway around the world when this column was written (or perhaps even on the plane?).

Now, after he has arrived and gotten into the media center and all of that, he better be churning out copy that only people who are there can get, but for this article, published the day before the Opening Ceremonies, it's no big deal.

It's not a good column ... at all ... but I can see the extenuating circumstances that might lead to a lousy column in this case.

Draft saved Draft deleted