1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why lie?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Drip, Sep 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Everyone tells a lie but this tale by Eric Lindros is one for the books. Lindros turned down an invitation to return to the soon-to-be demolished Wachovia Spectrum for a ceremony at the team's preseason game against Carolina on Sept. 27.
    As part of a farewell tribute to the Spectrum, the Flyers have invited all their past captains to that game. Lindros, a former captain, had a rocky relationship with the team.
    Lindros said he can't attend because "I will be attending a memorial service for my close friend's mother who recently passed away."
    I've never heard of a memorial service planned three weeks ahead of time. Has anyone else?
    http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/27847654.html

2. KG

KG Active Member

A memorial service isn't always the same as the wake and funeral. A memorial service can be just a gathering to celebrate that person's life for friends, loved ones and others the deceased has affected in some way.

For example: http://dying.about.com/od/rememberingthedead/ht/memorial.htm

It's a bit pretentious to assume it's a lie.

3. KG

KG Active Member

No. This accusation is one for the books.

I just couldn't let this go with a simple explanation of a memorial service. Do you really think he (or anyone) is going to lie about the death/memorial service of a friend's mother when it will be quoted?

I could be wrong about his honesty, but I personally wouldn't make accusations like that.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

Lindros, to me, has never been Mr. Honest. During his tenure with the Flyers, he always came across with a me against the world mentality. True it is very easy to find out if he's telling the truth about the memorial, I have never heard of a memorial planned so far in advance.

5. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

My father-in-law died a year ago Sept. 1.

His memorial service was Oct. 6. Part of the reason was to allow the myriad family members living out of state enough time to make travel arrangements back. There were a couple other reasons in there, but that whole time is such a blur I don't even remember right now.

I doubt Lindros is lying - that's too easy to check up on. Unless he's really that stupid.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

OK, OK, I see others have heard of memorial services planned in advance. I didn't. But again, given that its Lindros, that's what it raised some doubts to me as to the validity of his claim.

7. KG

KG Active Member

If you believe it's so easy to find out if he's telling the truth, then you should do that before making the accusation that he's lying. OR, you could have made the thread more like a question if anyone had heard of a memorial service planned so far in advance, instead of an automatic accusation.

If someone deserves a roast, then they deserve a roast, but I wouldn't start supposititious roasting without having all the facts.

Death just isn't a funny thing to ream people over is all I'm saying.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

You misunderstand where I am with this one. If you've ever dealt with Lindros, and I'm sure there are a few out there, you could understand that the guy has never been a straight shooter. I'm sorry for the loss of his friends mother but I'm not surprised that he found a way to bow out of the ceremony. It's Eric being Eric. The timing made things a little too convenient for my taste.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Exactly my point. The Flyers would've been questioned why Lindros wasn't invited so they took the pressure off the organization and extended the invitation. Lindros, not to my surprise, said he couldn't attend. Maybe the guy isn't lying. However, again, he's never been truthful on other matters.

10. KG

KG Active Member

I don't know how much he made throughout his career, but I think it's cool that he donated $5 million to hospitals in London, Ontario when he retired. (according to wikki)

11. KG

KG Active Member

I'm not that familiar with him, so I'm curious. What many things has he lied about in the past that has helped you develop such great animosity against him?

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

No animosity whatsoever against Lindros. I think many who have covered him pretty much feel the same way. He was a tremendous talent but there were always too many excuses for his play, in my opinion. And while his off the ice activities were and are his business, he was never the type of person that you warmed up to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.