1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Jordan Peterson is so popular

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

This is a very long piece to say, essentially, "because Jordan Peterson is pedantic enough to say obvious things that so outrageously offend the far left that he's flung into popularity by contrarians looking for anything other than identity politics."

That said...it's interesting.

Why Is Jordan Peterson So Popular? - The Atlantic

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I'll try to remember to read it later but that's a good lede.

Two years ago, I walked downstairs and saw one of my teenage sons watching a strange YouTube video on the television.

“What is that?” I asked.

He turned to me earnestly and explained, “It’s a psychology professor at the University of Toronto talking about Canadian law.”

“Huh?” I said, but he had already turned back to the screen. I figured he had finally gotten to the end of the internet, and this was the very last thing on it.

And that is a pretty funny line.

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Dick would have started this thread if he were still here.

Donny in his element likes this.
  4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Then we could reboot it in a few years. Now we won't.

5. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Who?

heyabbott likes this.
  6. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I have to admit, I am waaaaaay behind on this topic...so I'm going to read the article.

But I'm looking forward to learning why he creates such a reaction in people. NHL Rookie of the Year Mathew Barzal tweeted a photo of his book...and got a firestorm of criticism.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The article more or less argues that he creates said reaction because the people giving the reaction are something along the line of culture fascists.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

9. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

If you're playing catch-up, here's a handy-dandy resource page: Jordan Peterson Resource Page | Noah Berlatsky on Patreon. His 'work' on trans issues and Bill C-16 seems to be when he came to prominence in US circles.

Also, a choice quote from a review of 12 Rules for Life -- "12 Rules For Life is paleo-intellectualism crossed with a Hallmark card. We’re all going to die in a ball of fire."

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  10. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

OK, I have no idea who Jordan Peterson, which probably comes as no surprise, but I had to click when I saw that whoever he is, he brought back @TrooperBari . Well, hello there!

11. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

His stuff reads like The Secret for incels

12. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Hey there. I'm up to my eyeballs in international security and IR theory but will pop you an email this weekend.

Draft saved Draft deleted