1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is this yahoo still gainfully employed?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Andy _ Kent, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

Shaggy, thanks for the slander clarification, but I have to think Geraldo could be viewed as having crossed the line when he labeled the guy a drug dealer, wife beater and child beater without presenting anything other than his own voice. I mean, I bet a lawyer could have a field day with that.

And the reason I put it more into the "wrong" category than "uncomfortable" is because we all know the motivation behind it was for Geraldo to create another YouTube moment rather than to try to get to the bottom of the story.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I'm not so certain.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

I am inclined to agree with Andy. Geraldo's stopped asking questions and began picking acusing the man of wrong doing. That's when he crossed the line of being a journalist.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

In this economy, I don't feel comfortable suggesting that any journalist, no matter how spurious the label may be, should lose his or her job.

That said, I've wondered about Geraldo's right to that label in the past, even when the economy wasn't on its current epic fault line.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

At one time, he attempted to do some good work. But the TV show, getting his ass kicked by the Klan, etc., pushed him to a new level. Doe anyone out there recall a guy named Morton Downey Jr.?

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Dear God, yes.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

He had crazy eyes.

8. I've never been able to look at dusty old Coke bottles the same way after Geraldo.

HAHAHAHA!

Draft saved Draft deleted