1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is this yahoo still gainfully employed?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Andy _ Kent, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I actually thought that Geraldo actually handled himself pretty well -- for Geraldo. Would have been nice to come at the guy with some questions other than accusations from former "friends," though.

But he stuck to it even though the whole family was there and Geraldo kept asking questions at the end.

I thought the girl's father seemed like he was acting a bit, and I thought when he was asked if he thought she was still alive that he slipped when he said that he will believe it until they find her.

2. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

Ace, I was thinking along the same lines as you when it came to the accusations Geraldo was throwing out there. Pull out some copies of arrest reports if you're so sure he's lying, but to just keep coming back with "Chad and Marcus said, blah, blah, blah," I mean, give me a break.

I also didn't like how he went a step further after the father denied each and every allegation and said for the second time he wanted to get the proper authorities involved by stopping him and pretending he didn't hear any of that. That nonsense of "Let's put all of that aside for a moment. Don't you think you owe it to the police to tell them about your dark side and your associates?" etc., etc., was bush league.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

This isn't journalism. It's sensationalism. Geraldo doesn't give a damn about the missing kid.
    The whole family should've kicked Geraldo's ass but I guess that's what he was hoping would happen.
    My question is why couldn't Geraldo answer the guy's question about where he was getting his information from. The first amendment protects Geraldo but who protects the guy, who appears visibily shaken by the line of questioning?

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

1. The guy can just walk away from Geraldo.

2. There is no law about Geraldo asking baseless, leading questions or people passing along hearsay. The police aren't going to arrest "Chris" and "Marcus." He can sue in civil court if he wants.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

'Yeah, the guy should've walked away.
    But Ace, if the guy walks away, Geraldo gets on the air and basically accuses him of kidnapping his kid (I know, I know he did it anyway) and the guy looks bad.
    Ace, if you were the guy, and you were innocent, and Geraldo comes to your home, what would you do?

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I would probably take a poke at him.

But I would like to think I would hold up a photo of my child with a phone number for people to call and if Geraldo starts asking questions about my buddies saying I knew who did it or my drug arrests or whatever, I would like to think I would say, "I know the police have to look into every angle. Here is my daughter's picture, if you have seen her or have any information please call."

And I would repeat that until Geraldo left.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

I too was thinking along those lines. Then after the guy put the camera down, I'd take a poke at Geraldo.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Not sure what Geraldo did here that was so awful that you decided to start a thread on it. Mind sharing?

9. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

Well, I don't know, maybe just the fact that he hounded this guy to no end with the type of baseless and probing questions that, if caught on tape like this, would have most of us dragged into our editor's office and read the riot act about how we just opened our outlet up to a libel suit. And being that the beancounters are just looking for any excuse to add another number to the layoff list, that closed door meeting likely would be the last meeting before we were handed our walking papers, while Geraldo still rakes in the dough. All of that might have had something to with why I opted to start a new thread.

Or it could have been that there was no other existing thread that seemed appropriate enough to blindly add the link. ;D

10. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I think you mean slander (spoken word), even though slander is not in play when it comes to asking tough questions to a guy in a tough situation. He was given a chance to confirm or deny what he heard. He denied them. Though I think he came at the guy a little too aggressively, it was more uncomfortable of an interview than it was wrong.

As for Geraldo and his job security...well, he's Geraldo. He has had a very decorated career, and he puts asses in the seats. That's life.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

He should be fired for those sunglasses.

12. Tyranny of fashion.

Draft saved Draft deleted