1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is this news?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MisterCreosote, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

OK, let me explain this more clearly.

No, I do not think this story is news. Not at all. I think it's clickbait through and through. When 200 Congressmen and women support it, then I will believe it is news. When 15 people support it, I think it's a waste of everyone's time to be reporting on it like it's actual news.

2. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Interesting. You've probably got a higher standard for what counts as news than most, but nothing wrong with that. But because I like poking, because this obviously has a certain bent on the spectrum and because whataboutism is just the rage these days, would I be right to assume a TV star and quirky billionaire questioning the legitimacy of a president's birthplace would also not be news. It's more fringy than 1 in seven senators backing something, and certainly more about oddity-level interest than anything anchored in reality.

A follow up might be updates on The Wall. That's trickier. Obviously the most powerful person in the world supports it, and perhaps that makes it news. But it also at this juncture seems far more imaginary than serious (does it have announced backing of 15 congresspeople?), and could certainly be considered unrealistic grandstanding.

3. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

what happened.

4. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

One of the five to ten highest profile politicians in the land introduces ambitious but probably unfeasible legislation.

5. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

If we've gotten to the point that healthcare legislation is clickbait, society is doing better than I thought.

Draft saved Draft deleted