1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is this news?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MisterCreosote, Sep 13, 2017.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Not only "news," but why is this one of the top stories on the WaPo website right now?

Sanders to introduce bill that would revolutionize U.S. health care. And he has a record level of support.

That "record level of support?" Fifteen senators. That's it. No mention of support in the House, leading me to assume there is none.

Is the introduction of every grandstanding, dead-end bill deserving of A1 coverage?

Honestly interested in the journalism aspect of this. Not trying to circumvent the political lock.

2. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Because the Post wants it to be.

bpoindexter and YankeeFan like this.
  3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

It's not just the Post.

My favorite is the "Vox" interview with Hillary Clinton where she details all of the reasons why a bill with the support of 15 out of 535 congresspeople won't pass.

4. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Healthcare has be up front in the news. Repeal ,replace for many years by the rebublicans, uuuuge thing trump is going to accomplish (by his charm alone I guess?) and they all fail.
    There has been the talk of "what do the democrats have to offer", this is it, so I think it gets attention. Plus it may be that the single payer aspect is different enough to add to the attention. Plus it is offered by a well known name.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Did you borrow that thread title from Facebook? Seems like I see somebody saying that hourly over there.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Sure it isn't going to pass in this Congress, or likely with this President, but it does matter WHO the co-sponsors are, pretty much anyone thinking of running for the Dem nomination in 2020. It's become like the repeal and replace Obamacare of the Democratic Party.

britwrit and clintrichardson like this.
  7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Something's going on.

8. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

I think the headline refers specifically to the 15 being a record level of support for this medicare all/single payer idea. Which is still not much support but its more than its had previously? It's not well worded if that's the aim though

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I would assume that was a pretty fucking short interview.

10. DanOregon

Also, there is no point for the Dems to start "negotiations" with Obamacare - using the possibility that the next President would advocate for single-payer might actually motivate the insurance and pharma industries to to get involved in stabilizing Obamacare.

11. DanOregon

Hillary is starting to sound like her next quote will be "I didn't even want the party's stupid nomination anyway. I had a pretty great life going. But people begged me."

Doc Holliday and YankeeFan like this.
  12. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Since they often get coverage (using the term A1 coverage for a website seems weird) and people tend to read about a lot of them en masse, many do.

It's also a weird question becuase the front of that site is gonna run though, what? 45 stories a day minimum? Will we look at them all and decide if we should make the public aware of them?

(I also chuckle at how thin some of the papers I've worked at would be if the "is this news" standard was applied. So many small-town carnivals and ethnic food fests)

Draft saved Draft deleted