1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is this board dying?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by fishwrapper, Sep 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Huh? What? Are you nuts? What the fu *** oops. Uh, yeah.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

SIDs can BE journalists.

3. Moderator1

To a degree, yes. But we'd be stretching things to label those in the profession as journalists.

I think schools are looking at those with journalism backgrounds more and more because the "we are our own media" theory is taking hold with school Web sites.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

SID and PR Flacks can be journalists. We're not talking about building a space ship.
    I think the board is dying because there appear to be only jobs in crummy locations. Those are the ones that keep coming up with openings. After a while, how many times have you gotten tired of the same posters typing "Stay Away" or a group of posters having their own personal conversations in an organized threadjack? And I haven't touched on the personal insults that somehow sneak in.
    It gets old and old things die. That's what's happening to the board, IMO.

5. Moderator1

What? How does the space ship line tie in here? Degree of difficulty isn't what is being discussed.
    I AM a journalist. It is what I trained to do and what I did for 30-plus years.
    It is not, however, what I do now. Yes, there is some degree of journalism involved. But the jobs are NOT the same.
    And, no, neither is building a space ship. That has nothing to do with the discussion.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I ask this in all sincerity: What's wrong with inside jokes? People try to cut down trees with that old saw all the time. When people create a community of some sort and it solidifies over time, there will be shared experiences that can be referred to in shorthand and still enjoyed. And people do catch on as they join the community.

Does somebody really say, "I ain't hanging around here! They're talking about 8 seconds and I don't know why!" ?

And for the third time: TSP has shown that the journo board is as busy if not busier than a couple years ago!

7. Moderator1

Because most of them aren't funny? Or, if they were, they're so played out that they aren't funny anymore?
    Just a thought.

8. dooley_womack1

Your opinion; not all agree, perhaps.

9. Moderator1

Absolutely. You asked, I gave you my opinion. It's worth as much as a smidge of nothing.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Smidge of Nothing would be a great band name.

11. dooley_womack1

I guess the point is, it's nothing that would keep a Gary Smith from posting on the journo board if he were so inclined. Hell, maybe he is, for all we know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.