1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is this board dying?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by fishwrapper, Sep 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

yes, there is bad news...still worthy of being up here...but bad nonetheless. all of what Write said. but it's depressing.

All that and right now there's an election heating up. I think people's focus is elsewhere.

And with today's climate I wonder how many SJ members are even really in the biz anymore. If and when I get out I'll still come around here too, but if I'm not in the biz I won't have too many journalism topics to start.

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

There just isn't as much interesting journalism being done. There are fewer people to do it, less money to spend on trying to do it, less space to run it in, less time to do it in, what with blogging and videos and podcasts to do as well. There's a lot of "stuff." And there's only so much that can be said about it.

3. So Frank, are you saying that journalism is dying?

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

No, it's frozen like Ted Williams' severed head was. Not entirely dead. Maybe it can be thawed and restarted when a cure is found, maybe not.

5. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

If this board dies, will anyone be left to tweet the funeral?

6. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Let's not let facts get in the way of the topic's premise...

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

It's an SportsJournalists.com tradition.

You're entitled to both your opinions AND your facts .

I like this board even though I'm not a journalist.

Well, not the 175th incarnation of the "What's wrong with the industry" thread, but some of the nuts and bolts stuff.

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Well, I'll get blasted for this, but what the hell:

I don't think the J board is languishing because of industry problems. It's dying because people who really have something to contribute just don't/won't post here any more. Between the incessant inside jokes, battering of new posters, and complete intolerance of new/different/unpopular ideas, why would anyone bother?

Just my opinion.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Tuesday, Sept. 16, 1:55 a.m.
    RMN_Berny: it all starts over again on a Yahoo! message board
    Tuesday, Sept. 16, 1:50 a.m.
    RMN_Berny: female board members sob silently as webby pulls the plug
    Tuesday, Sept. 16, 1:49 a.m.
    RMN_Berny: 21 waxes poetic about the great old boards of her youth
    Tuesday, Sept. 16, 1:48 a.m.
    RMN_Berny: williams screams, "We didn't like the damn coda anyway"
    Tuesday, Sept. 16, 1:47 a.m.
    RMN_Berny: codas stolen from their spot; panic ensues
    Tuesday, Sept. 16, 1:44 a.m.
    RMN_Berny: moderator friedman gets fed up, knocks 14 posters off board
    Tuesday, Sept. 16, 1:42 a.m.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Can't blast you for that. It is too bad that young newbies with a question about getting into the biz immediately get a dozen variations on "just don't do it, kid." Understandable, but unfortunate.

What I miss is the discussion of great journalism-- someone posts a good story, we react constructively. Now there are more threads started about terrible stories and everyone tries to one-up each other with the bashing.

Also, the Politics board is all the rage. The J-Board is soooo 5 minutes ago.

11. dammit, yes

good, intelligent threads invariably turn into the same 20 morons making the same 20 stupid jokes

productive, insightful threads invariably turn into sophomoric name calling

it's a shame, really. there are a lot of people who post occasionally here who have a lot to offer, but the tired inside jokes, mean-spirited barbs directed at "newbies" (like that's a negative thing?) and personal attacks drive people away

can't blame 'em

12. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I actually thought the same thing a couple of days ago. I attributed it to the start of football season. Those of us still working in the biz have gotten a lot busier in the past few weeks.
    But I do agree with the reasons posted above.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.