1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is this board dying?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by fishwrapper, Sep 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Remember just a year ago if you missed a couple of days, there would be two pages of new threads on the Journalism Board?
    Now, if you miss a couple of days, the same threads are on the same page -- even the same spots.

Now, on a personal level, I struggle coming here. It hurts on many levels. I wince, peek through the fingers of my hands as I click the threads describing the latest devastation or the Fuhrer's latest movements. The latest rounds of friends, colleagues and gatekeepers cast aside by an unforgiving bottom line, profession and economy.

It is melancholic, distressing and downright depressing. Literally depressing.

So, I struggle. I struggle knowing there are fewer of us these days. I struggle knowing we're constantly asked to do more with less resources... and readership.

To make the commitment that I do (and you), I need to believe. That belief flickers these days. I get excited by the next story, the next "get," the next piece that makes a difference. Then I look at this board, and the excitement dissipates. I'm reminded of the reality as we wait for the reformation.

You guys struggle?

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

The last 2½ of this Journalism Topics board cover June 12, 2006 to June 20, 2006.

The first three full pages of this Journalism Topics board cover today (more than half the topics on the first page) to Sept. 10.

More posts now than two years ago.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Talking journalism has definitely taken a back seat in my life.

Personal, life-changing issues . . . election . . . job security . . . short-term horizon . . . long-term horizon.

All of those are dominating my thoughts. Whether Jay Mariotti enters a locker room just isn't in my sphere of concern anymore.

4. Jones

Jones Active Member

This board has always been quiet, for the same reasons more people watch Wipeout than PBS.

5. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

Fish .... I wish I could say none of that applies to me, but sadly it does. I still try to do high quality work, and I've also come to the realization that dreams won't be realized and talent won't truly flourish where I currently work. That's going to have to come somewhere else. I don't say that asking for sympathy, it's just my reality. And yes, this profession is way lower on the totem pole now than it used to be. I'm more grateful when I get to spend time with friends, enjoy a good book, write for my own enjoyment and do volunteer work. I come to this board because there are other topics that provide a moment of escape from work, and a place just to unwind and spout off about stuff. And for one brief moment, I get to forget.

6. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I agree. I didn't want this to evolve into a sympathy session.
    I've been really fortunate in this business. So, my situation differs from many here. And I understand that. I was just curious -- even anecdotally -- if you avoid this board for the reality and rather spend the time on the "News" or "Anything" boards.

And I think Jonesy, at least partly, gives an entirely valid reason.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

But ... the Journalism Topics board is MORE active than it was two years ago.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I think, and this has come up before, that some avoid this particular board because of the downer stuff. They don't want to be reminded on every other thread that Joe Blow thinks the newspaper industry is dying.

I don't need to click on a "16 canned in Rancho Cucamonga" thread. Really, why would I?

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Too depressing. The few times where this side of the board has lit up recently, it's been because of bad news (Tampa Tribune, Tribune Co. layoffs etc.)

10. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I think there is a bit of post-traumatic stress syndrome, as it were, going on.

People are tired. And, they're tired of what's going on, and feeling like there's not a lot we can really do about it, either because we, sadly, don't know what to do about it, or because we, unfortunately, are not in a position to be able to do much about it.

That's a very dispiriting sense to have, particularly for people who, generally, tend to be idealistic, hard-working, and usually, the types who want to make an impact or a difference.

If you're afraid or feeling that what you say/do doesn't, or won't, really matter, anyway, why keep talking about it, and going over and over the same stuff, which is unsolvable, anyway -- at least in any way that we actually really want?

In short, I think a lot of people just don't have much to say, or to add anymore, about the main discussions (job cuts/industry problems) going on right now.

It's depressing, discouraging, and sad. But my feeling is, that's what's going on right now.

11. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

Agree with everything. And now more than ever, I jump at the chance to get away and just go hang with friends.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

No offense intended, but that's what I'm talking about. Why do I want to hear about how depressed somebody is about the business?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.