1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is this a story? (napping)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ringer, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

News flash: Copy editors do it, too.

2. Especially during a long, boring story like this one. ;D

3. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Cross-section packaging opportunity missed here: The Spanish also take naps.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Not to forget the Reagan years ...

5. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

There were actually some interesting nuggets, if not interesting Nuggets, in there.

* Kobe Bryant checks into a hotel before home games, just to nap.
    * The quote from Adam Silver, about how everyone at the league office knows not to call a player at 3 o'clock.
    * The stuff from the sleep doctor.

I think the story was fine.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

You guys don't get it...

Napping must be a euphemism for "fucking the women who hang out in the lobby at the team hotel."

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

'interesting nuggets,' perhaps. a new trend or recent twist? no. and it was written like it was. that's the issue we're examining. heck, next thing ya know the times will 'break' the story about all the wacky things -- including napping -- d.h.'s do to kill time between at bats.

this story, like napping, is as new as my first car. again, reeks of an inexperienced writer guided by a newbie assignments editor. like the pitch on reruns one network spun a couple of years back: 'if you didn't see it the first time around, then this show is NEW TO YOU!!'

that's all. not saying an old feature can't be revisited with fresh 'nuggets.' just don't try to sell it as a new trend you're breaking open....

8. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

That's fair, although I didn't really read it that way.

All I'm saying is, it was worth the story in some respects, because I learned some things from it I did not know. I imagine casual fans did as well.

9. jtrain351209

jtrain351209 New Member

I had forgotten about Griffey having been caught napping last year, which is funny because it was such a big deal at the time.

10. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Doesn't use somnambulant. Fucking dumbing down to the lowest common denominator.

11. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Good point.

Draft saved Draft deleted