1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is there a Baseball draft?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ilmago, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

Don't want to derail this thread, but I'm just curious to know why you mentioned Eric Lindros, Mizzou?

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

To be fair, the A's just outbid everyone else for a Japanese pitcher this week. And Sano -- a Dominican shortstop considered by many as the top free agent teenage prospect in Latin America last year -- spurned the Pirates to sign with the Twins.

More and more, everyone else is getting their fair share of foreign players, too.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

As I recall, it was the bidding war for Rick Reichardt, "the next Mickey Mantle," that proved to be the final impetus toward MLB adopting a draft.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Drafts in all sports are designed to effectively eliminate the bargaining power of unsigned free agent players entering the structure of the organized sport.

The fact that often it seems not to work that way is simply evidence of the stupidity of the owners.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

So Mizzou, name all of the Japanese players on the Yankees roster.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

because he's clueless.

7. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

in european soccer there also is no salary cap and small market teams over there have even less of a shot than those in MLB. yet you don't hear too much complaining about it being unfair to the small market teams.

8. cjericho

ok Lindros was very good, but he wasn't as good as Forsberg. then consider the other guys the Nordiques/Avalanche got and you could say he didn't lcome close to living up to the hype.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I still wake up screaming in the night when I think of Hideki Irabu.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I needed a hockey name and I don't know shit about hockey, sue me...

11. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

I was just curious, don't really need to get all pissy about it.

12. cjericho

maybe the Ferraro twins. Lindros definitely not a bust, but definitely didn't live up to the hype.

Draft saved Draft deleted