1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is Schembechler considered a "great coach"?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Jimmy Olson, Nov 19, 2006.

1. Jimmy Olson

Jimmy Olson Member

Valid point by you.

I never spoke of it as a problem. I merely questioned the logic.
    I don't subscribe to the "More than one way to polish a turd" policy,
    but since you've polished it, I understand the flawed logic of others
    now.

Thank you.

2. Neutral Bias

Neutral Bias New Member

From 1972-74, either ND or USC won the NC (during the 10 years of the "Bo vs Woody" years mentioned recently in the media either ND or USC won the NC in half of those seasons).

However, even more amazing than that is that from 1928-1932 either ND or USC was the recognized NC.
    14 Heisman Trophies between them.

Those are pretty impressive stats for a rivalry.

3. stevenash

stevenash Member

just because what he did with the team

4. Johnsonville

Johnsonville Member

Osbourne is a joke. Try Switzer on the first team. He owned Dr. Tom, who only won when Switzer hung it up.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Except Switzer basically cheated his ass off virtually every day of his college coaching career.

6. Johnsonville

Johnsonville Member

So did Wooden. So did Bryant. What is your point?

I guess you forget the criminal years of Osbourne, too.

7. To put Schembechler as a top 7 coach makes absoulutly no sense, especially when he did so bad in bowl games. Woody Hayes was also a part of the rivalry, and he acctually won 2 titles. Schembechler taking 1 more than Hayes in the rivalry isn't enough to make up for the 2 championship discrepency.

8. fletch b. fletch

fletch b. fletch New Member

Bo was a great coach during his time because he had his system, as boring as it was, and he won with it for many years. But it was clear that by the time he stepped down in 1989, his system was pretty much obsolete. Look at the QBs Michigan had after Bo left _ Elvis Grbac, Todd Collins, Drew Henson (OK, bad example), Tom Brady and now Chad Henne _ compared to who Michigan had when Bo was there. Same with WRs. Other than Anthony Carter, Michigan wasn't known for its receivers under Bo. But over the past few years, there's Braylon Edwards, Amani Toomer, Tai Streets and now Mario Manningham.

Michigan is much more able to compete for a national championship now because they have the kind of offense that can match up with anyone. Even the 42-39 loss to Ohio State proves that. Bo could have never made that transition, and I think he knew it, which I believe is why he stepped down when he did. So if that makes him a great coach _ knowing when it's time to go _ then he deserves some credit for that. There are a lot of coaches who don't know when it's time to go (JoePa, anyone?), and hang on until the particular university has to make an uncomfortable decision.

Bo might be a rung below guys like Bowden and Paterno, who have done it for years and changed with the times. But for what he did for Michigan, he can definitely be considered a great coach.

Draft saved Draft deleted