1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is Schembechler considered a "great coach"?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Jimmy Olson, Nov 19, 2006.

1. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Conference championships were infinitely more important than national titles?

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Saying Bo Schembechler isn't a great coach because he didn't win a national title is tantamount to saying that you can't be a great high school student unless you were named valedictorian.

3. Jimmy Olson

Jimmy Olson Member

Your use of selective metaphor is abhorant.

No one stated that Bo was a shitty coach simply because he won ZERO National Championships. That was simply added to the laundry list of poor performances which was posted.

To use your metaphor, if a High School Senior consistantly gets graded above the curve against Junior High talent, yet gets C's and D's versus his peers when it matters, the student is NOT a great student.

Do better next time.

4. Jimmy Olson

Jimmy Olson Member

Believe it or not, that is the overlying mindset in the Big 10 Conference.

The father of this mindset - none other than Bo Schembechler.

Given his resume above, it's easy to figure out why.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The goal in the Big 10 was always to get to the Rose Bowl because that signified a Big 10 championship. To a certain extent that's still the feeling at a lot of Big 10 schools.

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

It has been stated that you can only be a great coach if you own a national championship. I find that line of thinking way off base.

Since you wish to wag your finger at me on the issue of analogy, allow me to point out that "national championship" "high school senior" and "junior high" are not capitalized.

And if my comparing grades to titles is "abhorant", then what does that make your invoking the ghosts of two legendary coaches to make the case against a rematch, as though you know a hoot in hell what they'll be thinking when the bowl bids go out?

In sum: you fail, please try again ^_^

7. Jimmy Olson

Jimmy Olson Member

Meathead, is that the best you can do?

Seriously?

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Bo Schembechler went to 10 Rose Bowls, captured a share of 13 Big Ten titles and had a winning percentage north of .750. He went to bowls 17 seasons out of 21 in a time when going to a bowl meant more than having a 6-6 record. And the four bowl misses came in the last six years, and during a time when the Big Ten champion was the ONLY team allowed to play in a bowl. That sounds pretty fucking great to me. I'm sorry that doesn't meet your high standards.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

He's a troll.

10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Yeah, but sometimes they're fun to practice on.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Like fat chicks.

12. Jimmy Olson

Jimmy Olson Member

Bo was 1-9 when it mattered.
    Check his quotes, "The Rose Bowl is the only thing that matters."
    Check his Rose Bowl record.

Draft saved Draft deleted