1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is most sportswriting so bad?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by inthesuburbs, Jul 7, 2010.

1. apseloser

apseloser Member

Sportswriting in newspapers IS getting worse. And worse. And worse.
    It's not what it was 3 years ago, let alone 5 or 10. I read 2 major metros a day and rarely come across a lede that makes me think, "That was creative."
    The LA Times is not one of the sections I see daily but my local paper picked up their NBA Finals advance. Day of Game 1. This led their sports section. THIS, in a section that not so long ago was home to some of the best sportswriting in America. THIS, which reminds me of the high school volleyball previews I used to write ...

The Lakers and Celtics.
    L.A. and Boston.
    There is so much rich history, so much hatred and yet so much respect for what these teams have accomplished.
    Here they go again, the Lakers and Celtics, L.A. and Boston, about to add another installment to their juicy rivalry.
    They have piqued the interest of many who wonder how the drama will unfold ...

I threw up in my oatmeal before I got to the jump. Then I couldn't figure out what was throw-up and what was oatmeal.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Who eats oatmeal in the summer?

3. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

Looks like a good breakout box!

4. beardown

beardown Member

I know this sounds like an excuse, but with constant blogging/tweets, etc., there's more of an emphasis on quick reporting rather than good writing. When your deadline is in 5 seconds, a cliche is easier to write than a strong, well-written, original phrase. It's an unfortunate fact of our 24/7 news cycle.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Sorry. I don't buy it. That's called laziness.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's called laziness.

7. CR19

CR19 Member

Now here's the question: How do you improve your writing?

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

A better question would be "Why should I?"

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

No it's not. There are time's Ace, when you're not going to get anything different. That's not being lazy. Being lazy is when you don't try to find that different angle.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Feel like you don't need to improve? What a wonderful attitude you have.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Does my writing suck? Yes
    Is there any incentive for my writing not to suck? Nope.

What, am I going to bust my balls to improve my writing and not get laid off? Move on to bigger and better things? Make a career out of this that'll last me the next three decades? Get big raises?

Besides, I doubt most people who aren't writers even care about good writing. If I had to choose between one and the other, I'd rather be a better reporter.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Then why do you continue to be a writer? You are educated enough to do other things, it's not like you're making good money, what possibly keeps you there?

Again, what a wonderful attitude you have. I hope you pass on that hard working, prideful attitude to your child.

Draft saved Draft deleted