1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is most sportswriting so bad?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by inthesuburbs, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

James Bond thought Christmas only came once a year.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

The great majority of people can't write their way out of a paper bag, and it stands to reason that a certain percentage of such folks will inevitably be employed as professional writers.

3. writingump

writingump Member

One reason writing might not be as good as it used to be is that most papers are more interested in having writers blog, do videos and lay out pages. In short, they hire writers to do everything but write. And if you don't write, it stands to reason that part of the job might suffer.

4. EagleMorph

EagleMorph Member

Sportswriting isn't getting worse. We're just seeing more of it. In the span of about 15 years, we've gone from having access to sportswriting from national publications and magazines to every Podunk Press, blogger, and obscure resource possible.

Yes, there is a problem in our education system when it comes to quality writing. Yes, the emergence of ESPN as a monolith in sports journalism has changed how we do things.

But bad sportswriting has always been around. We're just noticing it more.

5. Brad Guire

Brad Guire Member

My take is that too many sports writers, likely at smaller papers with little quality editing, are more interested in the sports than good reporting and concise, no-nonsense writing. The few years I spent in sports helped my writing once I went back to the news side -- I use stronger action verbs, dropped a lot of passive tense usage and used more descriptive language -- but I was also careful to not pick up any bad habits.

6. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Why would a writer be in a paper bag? Oh, he was probably in there searching for a mixed metaphor.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Well if most sportswriting is bad and it's because too many sportswriters watch Tv, then most sportswriting must have been good before TV.

But I doubt it.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Why do people grab one story and make it an example for an entire industry?

9. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Count me in the 10 percent. I read lots of military history as well novels. Post apocalyptic is my favorite genre for novels.

10. CR19

CR19 Member

I agree. I usually only read the newspaper and SI on sports, except for the periodic book. Usually, I read historical books by guys like David McCullough.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

What's scary are the rote regurgitations which comprise the majority of what
    Real Clear Sports picks up . . . scary, scary.

12. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

This was a great overlooked post, Dan...

Draft saved Draft deleted