1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is it OK to pronounce Mexico "Me-hi-co" on TV?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WazzuGrad00, Jun 11, 2006.

1. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

Kirk Gimenez, one of ESPNews' sunday afternoon anchors, was calling the highlights from the Mexico-Iran World Cup game. Everytime he said Mexico, he pronounced it with the Spanish X sound which sounds like an English H.

For some reason, this bothered me. TV people don't call Germany "Deutchland" or pronounce France "Fr-ah-nce," why would they make an exception for Mexico? I can understand saying it that way once for effect, but it really starts to stand out when it's every time.

2. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

That's how it's pronounced south of the border. Not sure that it's a racial slur or anything.
    Boring, sure.

3. flaming_mo

flaming_mo Guest

Is it Jon Miller who enunciates all the Spanish names to demonstrate how "with-it" he is? I find that obnoxious.

4. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

I think Gimenez is obnoxious. He pulls the same thing you witnessed this afternoon for every Spanish-sounding name.
    It's a shtick, and it gets old real fast.
    Yes, Kirk, we get it, you're of Hispanic heritage. You're proud of it.
    Move on.

5. jay_christley

jay_christley Member

Same reason we had the Torino v. Torin debate during the Olympics.
    Pick a style.
    And stick to it.

6. What's so wrong with that?

It's better than the donkey that kept mispronouncing Juan Roman Riquelme's name during a highlight.

7. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

I don't know.... it just gets my goat. I realize it's his style and there's nothing I can do about it - I just find it annoying as hell.

8. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

He also pronounced Mehico's foe as eye-ran, when you would expect him, of all people, to go with ear-rahn.

9. baskethead

baskethead Member

Let me get this straight. It bothers you when someone pronounces someone's name the way it's supposed to be pronounced? Why is that?

10. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Because it's exaggerated and it's annoying and it's schtick. OK? ::)

11. baskethead

baskethead Member

No, not OK. Why is pronouncing someone's name correctly obnoxious? What's the difference between pronouncing a name right and spelling it right in a story? I find it far more obnoxious to not take the time to learn how to say someone's name the right way and just go with how you think it should be pronounced. I didn't realize doing something the right way is a "schtick"

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Same reason people say Keh-bec instead of Kwee-bec... because it makes them sound kool

Draft saved Draft deleted