1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is Dennis Dodd making an issue of Malcolm Gladwell's comment on football?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

There's no way to eliminate concussions from ANY sport.

But, yeah, football is the only dangerous sport out there...

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It is by far the most dangerous in that regard. Not even close.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

But not the only one. Despite what many idiots say.

4. LongTimeListener

I don't know of anyone who has said any such thing.

As I said, take away the header. Problem solved for soccer. I think it will happen.

So what about football then? Or do we just need to concentrate on all the stuff that doesn't do nearly as much damage and leave football alone?

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Any link as to where and when that actually happened? We'll wait.

6. LongTimeListener

January 1999, it was actually the director of the DC mayor's office of constituent services. He immediately realized the problem when he saw co-workers' faces and he apologized, but rumors nonetheless started that he had dropped the bomb, and he resigned.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/local/daily/jan99/district27.htm

A week later, after it was pointed out that, you know, English language and all, he was offered his job back, and he agreed to return to the government offices but in another capacity:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/local/longterm/williams/williams020499.htm

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

So, a) 14 years ago, and b) in the end, nothing substantial really happened.

8. LongTimeListener

I am not sure what we're talking about. I said this dispute over the word "ghettoize" reminded me of a dispute over the word "niggardly." That's really all I said. Honest. It's there in the posts and everything.

You doubted that it happened. I posted the links that showed it did happen. I guess I had lost track of it and didn't know he had gotten his job back, but I do remember him losing his job. (Which he, in fact, did. For a week he was unemployed, and after that he moved to a different job.)

I wouldn't even know what we are arguing about, but you can continue to argue if you like. However, there was indeed a controversy over the word "niggardly" within the Washington D.C. mayor's office.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I feel like I should get a royalty now whenever someone uses "narrative".

If a HS football player gets a concussion in the opening week of the season, does he deserve a sympathetic NY Times profile?

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Can you at least give him a little credit for the quick response, with a link, to back up his post.

Oop would have been more generous.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Gladwell's argument falls short in the area that I live. Between grades 3 and 8 there are 450 kids playing and between
    grades 9 and 12 there are 90 players.

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Damn, Starman, you're (usually) better than this. Weak sauce, man, weak sauce ...

Just a little while after the DC incident, Wisconsin opened an inquiry into an English professor's use of the word ... while teaching Chaucer ... who'd used the word in the work the professor was teaching.

http://reason.com/archives/1999/07/01/cracking-the-speech-code

Draft saved Draft deleted