1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is Dan LeBatard "hateable"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spikechiquet, Mar 6, 2010.

1. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I'm a long-time PTI fan and they used to always call LeBatard "The Hateable..." while introducing him.
    I always assumed it's tongue-in-cheek and a joke. He is my fav sub for the show and I could easily watch him and Wilbon together. It's not the same level as Kornheiser/Wilbon, but I'm down with it. It's been a nice two weeks.
    So, what is with the "hateable" tag?

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Oh, dear.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Some people just think cucumbers taste better pickled.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Some people prefer hosts who don't have a history of sucking up for access, i. e.
    just going all soft and fluffy about just EVERYTHING involving DLB's precious "U",
    dontcha'know?

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Those sports writers who are generally resentful of athletes get bent out of shape that Dan tends to be more empathetic to athletes' points of view. I think he's one of the smarter guys out there. Chalk it up to a lot of misplaced anger.

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

End well, this won't.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

DLB is a brilliant writer, but he's not well-liked by his peers. I'm sure on some level it's because jealousy and I'm sure on some level it's because he's a colossal douche. :)

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Yep . . . writes well. So do a lot of people.

It ain't hate.

It's contempt, since DLB rolls over for virually everyone in the locale.

When you stand for anything . . . you stand for nothing.

Got it?

Good.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

His cat's breath smells like cat food.

10. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I'm in your court cranberry. Then again, I've never had to deal with him in a sports setting. I just watch him on TV, and he seems to be a fun guy. Again, perception/reality could be different.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

His apologist act for the U and Ricky Williams aside, I like his work.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Athletes and owners have entire squadrons of people (i.e. PR and sports information staffs) whose paid duty is to be empathetic, sympathetic and fellatious to the athlete's point of view. Any putatively independent journalist seeking to even remotely adequately serve his or her readership should at very least adopt an attitude of healthy skepticism toward the athletes' POV. Outright hostility is not necessary (although at times it can be earned), but a minimal level of credulity.

LeBatard almost invariably adopts a stance of rapturous slobbering over the athlete's nether regions.

Draft saved Draft deleted