1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is agate called "agate"?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, May 8, 2008.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Ha ha... :D

I interned as a copy editor that summer and I've never seen a place abuse the agate guys like that place did...

2. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Haven't heard that term in probably 35 years. I knew it was a type of printing process, but that's it.
    I admit to looking it up before responding here.

3. Kick ass. I've been wondering for years.

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Somebody here says agate (5 1/2 point type) in England is called "ruby."

5. truman

truman New Member

I'm hazy on the details now, but now-retired LAT editor Dave Moylan told me that agate was truly called ruby, and agate was in fact a bigger typeface, by definition. There was a third, too, but damned if I can remember what it is.

6. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

That's true, but the other way around. Ruby is 6 pt. type. True agate is 5.5 pt. type.
    Dave Moylan, one of the best this business has ever seen, was of course, right.

7. Is it time for me to tell tales of being the bowling agate clerk in Milwaukee on Wednesday and Friday nights?
    Or is it time for my nap?
    I forget.

8. Walter Burns

Walter Burns Member

They called the Sunday photo section that in my hometown paper...and this was well into the 1980s. I guess newspapers have always been big on holding on to the past.

Draft saved Draft deleted