1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is a coach raising his voice news?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by zagoshe, Feb 15, 2007.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Here is the worst -- among a list of many -- thing about the ESPN-era of sports ----

Every time a coach raises his voice, rants or gets animated it becomes a NATIONAL FREAKING STORY because the always ratings-hungry ESPN melon-heads will take it, run with it for at least 48 hours and pimp it on every one of its 1,000's of shows over and over and over. And of course, it also gives them a chance to run all the old, tired Jim Mora, Herm Edwards,(the not so old) Denny Green, Mike Ditka melt downs as well......

But here is how ridiculous it is -- this Dan Hawkins Colorado thing happened on signing day -- which was a freaking week ago. And what did he really say that was so outrageous or ridiculous?

"This is Division I football, this is the Big 12. If you can't handle the demands go play intramurals."

Wow, stop the presses, that is cleary going way out on a limb......

2. Because they have all those hours of air time to fill, and they have to fill it somehow.

Yet another reason why "sit around time" with sources / people we cover has become a thing of the past.

3. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

You know, in a way, I love it.

The major college landscape has made its bed with ESPN, and sooner or later, these colleges were going to get the probe without the lube, so to speak.

How's it feel, boys?

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

"We got a job to do and we gonna, uh, do it. Zzzzzzzz." — Barry Switzer

Doesn't get into heavy rotation, does it?

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I personally love this one. You have to remember the context. Dan had gotten letters from a couple of anonymous parents along the lines of "why are you overworking my poor (fill in the name)?"

Dan had every right to go off like that. It was more a rant on the parents than against the media.

And no, I'm not on his staff or a Colorado booster. :)

6. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

It's the same reason local news has lots of stories about fires, etc. -- they have footage of it, therefore they make a big deal of it.

7. Terd Ferguson

Terd Ferguson Member

I figure it's "news" because coaches, like politicians, administrators of any sort, athletes, etc., often seem to go out of their way to be bland, boring and "non-controversial."

What we have in Hawkins, Jim Mora (Playoffs?!?), A. Iverson (Practice? We talkin' bout practice?) are people that, briefly, are candid, entertaining, fun and informative. These instances give us a clear view of coach/player/etc. as actual person. It's not the same stupid cliche bull shit we're fed 99 times out of 100.

It's like scooping up dog poop in your front yard and striking oil with the plastic poop scooper thing.

How often does that happen?

8. Any chance ESPN has to show America what a passel of overpaid, strutting jackasses America's "college" sports coaches actually are, god love them for it.

9. Rick Shanley

Rick Shanley Member

Well, well said...

10. Rick Shanley

Rick Shanley Member

I agree with you. Too bad this sort of thing isn't the norm.

11. for_the_hunt

for_the_hunt Member

I remember Deadspin actually featured it on their site fairly prominently several days prior to ESPN airing it. I find that pretty odd ...

I thought it was an entertaining little tid-bit. But ESPN? Come on, it was a non-issue. I honestly don't see the big deal.

12. Terd Ferguson

Terd Ferguson Member

ENTERTAINMENT
    S
    P
    N

There's no issue to it. Just entertaining as hell.
    Were you not entertained by the clip? Just me? OK then...

Draft saved Draft deleted