1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why I'm starting to hate a job I loved

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hankschu, May 15, 2008.

1. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

I came from the net over to newspapers - I know, I did it backwards - and I just got used to it. That's about the only advice to give you. If you moderate, then participation drops and management will be concerned about that and think it will affect clicks on Web site ads.

Of course, there is always the Greg Doyel approach ...

2. fremont

fremont Member

*bows down*

3. Peytons place

Peytons place Member

I know moderating these comments may cut down on some of the Internet traffic to our sites, and that's disappointing. I am stunned at what people say when protected by their anonymity. It's scary (and perhaps informative) to know that there are such hateful, vile people out there and the only thing that makes them behave decently, perhaps, is the threat of people knowing who they are.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

First of all, to Dan Oregon: I'm not worthy.

Second, to Hank. I know whereof you speak. When I transcribe the comment line for our Page 2, I unfailingly end up quite depressed at the anger, bile and small-mindedness that permeates our readership. I try to avoid this task as often as possible for this very reason.

I think some of the others have a good idea in looking upon these people as folks who are living a hard life and don't have a legitimate outlet. Nobody else will listen to them, so they phone in somewhere that they don't have anyone hanging up on them. Or where their thoughts aren't being edited.

Probably better than those who start a Web site just to do it.

Definitely better than those who start a Web site just to do it.

Draft saved Draft deleted