1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why I'm starting to hate a job I loved

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hankschu, May 15, 2008.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I wonder how many of those who comment on stories would be considered young. I tend to think that most are between 35-55 and have nothing better to do during the day. Especially since the stories that get the most comments seem to do with immigration an 75 percent of commenters write "go back to Mexico" or a similar vein.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I hear you man. I can't stand the vocal minority of the fans I'm supposed to be writing for. I work my butt off to get them what they want, and all I hear is bitching, complaining, insults and outright mean people.

Quite frankly, it makes me sad for the human race. That sounds extreme, but I'm serious.

3. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I'm sometimes amazed at the number of douchebags out there who feel compelled to share their douchebaggery with me and the rest of the world on a daily basis.

Best thing to do is just laugh it off, say thanks you're not one of them, and move on.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    "Son, we live in a world that has gates, and those gates have to be guarded by men with laptops, a dictionary and a strong command of the English language. Who's gonna do it? You? Mr. Publisher? You, Mr. Citizen Journalist? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for the home team and you curse the visitors. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that the home team's loss, while tragic, probably saved the owner money. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves money on lawsuits. You don't want the truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me at that gate, you need me on that gate. We use words like honesty, fairness, and punctuation. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very journalism that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a dictionary and get ready to sweat out a deadline. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to."

5. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Yup. Definite Post of the Year potential.

6. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Commenters/posters can't handle the truth.
    Dan Oregon ordered the Code Red.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

too early in the year. the idiot voters only remember from july on.

8. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

I'm copy/pasting the good stuff for future consideration.

My inner packrat is strong. :)

9. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

You're just now starting to hate the job you loved?

Slacker. Catch up with the rest of us.

The bile and venom once was distributed around the coffee shop "liar's table," in barbershops and elsewhere. Only a few took time to write a letter to the editor or make a call, so we were sheltered a bit from the backlash.

Today's shit gets flung through the fan immediately and we see or hear it immediately.

Keep your head up and keep doing good work. Sometimes that is your best medicine.

10. I agree with our lead poster here and SockPuppet. My local paper, The Idaho Statesman, frequently allows really racist comments (the Hispanics are targeted in nearly every comment section, even when the story is not about Hispanics), sexist comments, libel, you name it, they let it roll. Cuss words, direct slams on anyone by name, threats, etc., The Idaho Statesman has no problem with it.

I e-mailed the editor and Vice President, Vicki Gowler, and heard not a word in response from her. She's obviously parked her ethics at the door.

I take it there's no one monitoring their online content or the responses. I've written a letter to the editor before. I took the time to write and print the letter, and mail it in an envelope. It seemed like the logical thing to do. They even called me to verify that I was indeed the letter writer.

Here's an idea: To respond in a comments section, require a first and last name, and address just like a letter to the editor. And then the writer has to be verified by a phone call. You'll see the trolls drop off.

This free-for-all in the comments section has really damaged newspapers.

I don't expect The Idaho Statesman to make the change and I'll continue to read these awful posts.

* How come this entire internet revolution has thrown newspapers a curve? They're the only industry that can't figure out how to profit from it, and now they can't corral hate-filled content online? Sheesh, no wonder they're losing readers.

11. leo1

leo1 Active Member

comments give people the illusion of being in control over their lives. they feel like they can spew their deepest, darkest thoughts which they would probably never say in public - or even to their own friends and families.

there are many reasons to be depressed about this industry, which is one of the reasons i got out long ago, but don't let the anonymous asshole commenters be what puts you over the edge. for every asshole there are probably a thousand decent folk out there.

12. ZummoSports

ZummoSports Member

The trolls thrive in an environment that doesn't require accountability on their part. Hold them accountable and they'll vanish.

Now if someone would just be willing to do that...

Draft saved Draft deleted