1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why I still like newspapers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by heyabbott, Mar 31, 2010.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I got my first two six-month subs for a crazy low price. When they wanted to bump up the price in January, I told them I'd keep the sub if I could keep paying what I was already paying. They said no and that was that. No way am I gonna pay MORE for something I already didn't have to pay for. On a positive not, the clutter in the bathroom magazine basket is way down lately.

2. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

This is why we don't give away full stories on the web anymore...what value do subscribers get if others are getting the same thing for free.

We post partial stories on the web and give regular updates, but for full stories and expanded coverage you have to subscribe. We're intensely local, so if you don't subscribe, you're not going to get the info anywhere else (in most cases anyway).

3. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Why would anybody buy a newspaper if it is free online? Only newspaper higher-ups could think giving away a product online was a way to run a business. If newspapers put as much time and effort into beefing up their ad staffs and working on sales techniques in that area as ridiculous social media efforts ... well newspapers might be around another 100 years. Stupid fucks.

4. bl67550

bl67550 Member

This was an outstanding read. I'm one of the few remaining advocates of lengthy, well-detailed and revealing journalism. It was well done, but it was not the writing that made this piece, it was the story. Great find by the author.

5. Wonderful read indeed.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I bought because I enjoy reading a newspaper in the morning before I head to work. Pretty simple, really. Was buying a sub necessary? Nope. But I liked having a newspaper in my hand to read. Trust me. I'm not the only one. But your point is valid, which is why I no longer subscribe.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I get the NY Times everyday on my Kindle and the actual Washington Post delivered.
    I like reading on the Kindle, nothing is lost except for the ads, which I can do without. I can't afford anything advertised in the Times anyway. It's not as easy to skim the Kindle as it is the paper, but I enjoy holding the actual paper. But the Kindle price for the Times is 1/6th the cost of the actual paper. The Sunday Times on the Kindle has every section including the magazine.

I don't schlep my laptop around anywhere. I enjoy reading the paper at lunch, at coffee shoppes and I have a reading chair. A nice leather club chair with an ottoman where I park myself on Sunday mornings with coffee. A great morning is spent reading the paper in that chair.

For people who want to know whats going on in the world, the internet is great, between Google news or my.yahoo I get tons of stuff, I even have the AP app on my phone. But nothing replaces the actual mobility of a simple newspaper, though the Kindle is as easy to take with me as a paper. HOWEVER, even the Washington Post is getting thinner and thinner every month. Less coverage of everything. and less depth in what they do cover.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted