1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why I Quit My Dream Newspaper Job After 4 Months

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JackReacher, Sep 22, 2015.

1. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

well she already dug herself out of debt so she got it.

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

That's actually the one part where she didn't come off like a completely self-absorbed twit.

It eased some of the horror I felt, thinking what would happen if/when she ever had kids.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I've never heard of such a thing. I've had dogs my entire life. People go to work. The dog sleeps. People come home. The dog eats and goes out. Rinse, repeat for 15 years.

I cannot imagine that it's typical to pay someone to come let the dog out every day.

SFIND and JC like this.
  4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I wonder if we all thought we were special snowflakes, too, but the social media world didn't exist to give us the chance to constantly announce it to the world.

Twenty-somethings have always been a little self-absorbed. Is social media and helicopter parenting combining to make this generation moreso? Or is social media just giving us a window into what already was there? In other words, given the outlet, would I have pun hash tagged my wedding?

exmediahack likes this.
  5. MisterCreosote

Depends on the dog.

When my beagles were younger, they'd destroy the house after a few hours alone. When they were older, they couldn't hold it as long. Especially if they were on medication.

When I lived closer to work, I'd go home on my "lunch break" to let them out. My neighbor also did it for me sometimes.

SnarkShark likes this.
  6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

We're out of the house from about 6:30 a.m. until about 5:15 p.m. on work days. Zero percent chance I'm leaving my dog alone in the house for 11 hours. A dog-walker is an expense, for sure, but one that -- in the end -- I'm more than willing to take on. If we lived closer to work, sure, I'd just pop home at lunch or something and let him out. But that's not the case.

And I'm sure some people would be fine with having their dog sit at home for 11 hours every day without a chance to go outside. I'm just not one of them.

SnarkShark likes this.
  7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

If a dog walker came to the house, our dog would attempt to eat that person's face.

She normally leaves around 7:30 and is back by 5:30. On the days I have a more flexible schedule, I'll leave between 10 and 11 but it hasn't been much of an issue as the dog will sleep, or lay on the couch regardless of who is there or not there.

As the dog has gotten older, she's left some gifts but she's mostly ready to take care of her business on the post-work walk.

8. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

How do you gents feel about leaving millenial writers at home alone for 8-11 hours? We've seen the result of that. Should we hire an copy editor to pop in, take them out for a mocha latte frappabullshit, maybe clean up some of their longform?

SFIND, Tweener, jpetrie18 and 15 others like this.
  9. MisterCreosote

I've had dogs who were almost as needy as the average millennial, and based on that experience, I wouldn't recommend it. If you have to, though, make sure to prepare several creative dishes of food for nourishment and social-media validation before you leave.

LongTimeListener and TyWebb like this.
  10. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

"What’s scarier, being in debt or being in that building for another six months?" literally sounds like something a 20-year-old would say while fishbowling up a parked Honda Civic in a cul-de-sac somewhere in suburbia. Lady should join the Peace Corps or something.

11. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

The Peace Corps is tired, static organization. They could use some of her creativity.

12. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

"My emails would often be ignored or forgotten, my specific requests taken as suggestions, my questions laughed at in edit meetings."

Nothing unusual here. It's the rule, rather than the exception, for entry-level managers to be marginalized or blown off. Happened to me all the time when I had those jobs.

If she ever happens to land in another management/supervisory role at a newspaper, she'll quickly discover that it doesn't get any better.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted