1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why I Quit My Dream Newspaper Job After 4 Months

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JackReacher, Sep 22, 2015.

1. [​IMG]

2. Wander_mutt

Wander_mutt New Member

Reads like she had as much interest in her old(er), male, white, stubborn, conservative employees as they did her...... with no apparent newspaper experience I'm not surprised she ran away after 4 months.

3. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Try as I might (and the article is so long and ponderous that it takes a whole lot of trying), it's difficult to work up a lot of sympathy for her. Sure, she's now without a full-time job, has credit-card debt, etc. But she also is young, seems reasonably bright despite being on an emotional roller coaster, and should be employable. She's got some margin for error at this stage of her career. Her prospects are certainly better than the 50-to-55-ish copy editor or reporter who's been laid off or soon could be -- someone who can't afford early retirement, has a mortgage to pay and might be trying to put kids through college, dealing with health issues or paying for the care of an elderly parent.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
    murphyc likes this.
  4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The big question: is Sunshine the ultimate male or the ultimate meatball?

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Whatever happened to "Pop a Xanax and STFU"?

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

She mentioned debt more than once. Raise your hand if you stuck out a bad job longer than you'd liked in order to clean up some debt. Then you should get all idealistic and quit.

exmediahack and YankeeFan like this.
  7. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Yeah, dog should suck it up and stop whining about being locked in an apartment for 8-12 hours straight.

JackReacher likes this.
  8. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

She'll never land a job at Yahoo! now. The company expects you to show up for work these days.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Yes. It should. It's a fucking dog.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  10. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I hope you don't have a dog.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Oh, my God, a dog has to be alone for an eight-hour work day, like generations of dogs before it. The humanity!

cjericho likes this.
  12. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Self-absorbed overlong wankfests are the lifeblood of Gawker's main sites, Jezebel in particular. Even if you were the social justice warriorest of all social justice warriors, I couldn't see how you'd be able to sustain reading most of the navel-gazing state-of-me toilet fires that infest that site and ones like it.

Bronco77, Gator and sgreenwell like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted