1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why I Quit My Dream Newspaper Job After 4 Months

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JackReacher, Sep 22, 2015.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

2. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Mental illness combined with naivete is not a good mix.

3. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

People in their 20s are impetuous because they can be. More power to her, but this story isn't exactly unique.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Maybe hiring a mid-level manager and leaving her to revolutionize an entire industry with no support or enthusiasm from her bosses, colleagues or subordinates isn't the best idea.

schiezainc, HC and Ace like this.
  5. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. It also isn't unique to the journalism industry. Woman gets job, finds out it isn't what she thought it was, quits. Hardly seems worthy of 2,000 words.

6. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

She needed an editor to cut that thing down to a manageable size. One thousand words would have sufficed.

7. Um, have you met any Millennials?
    2,000 words is prolly under-doing it... Unless she included some Facebook selfies, Tweets, a Vine of her quitting, some Instagram shots, Snapchats and of course what life experience would be complete with a blog post! I mean, how else would anyone know what's going on with her life?

8. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I have no idea what you're talking about, so here's an imaginary bunny with an imaginary pancake on its head.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

One thing the world seems to be short on these days is "Why I Quit My Job" columns.

10. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

And it's good to quit without finding another job with about the same salary. This way you can run up a lot of credit card debt. Then when you decide to go back to work you can blog about how evil the credit card companies are.

11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I don't get this part: "I hated telling dates where I worked, because the energy would immediately change; the man across from me would always become either visibly intimidated or way too interested."

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

One thing you definitely don't want is for your romantic interest to show interest in you as a person.

studthug12, Potter, Batman and 5 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted