1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why I Never will Cheat on my Wife...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by qtlaw, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

Great pull.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Does it ever strike you, especially given your sig line, that maybe you're out of your depth?

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

Like Billy Madison discussing quantum physics with Stephen Hawking.

4. SpockPuppet

SpockPuppet New Member

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end.

5. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Dan Savage and his husband seem happily married despite allowing each other to very occasionally sleep with other men. And it's not like they're remotely the only ones like that. There's a whole big world out there. Here's a start: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/03/magazine/infidelity-will-keep-us-together.html?pagewanted=all.

6. To cross-thread, I think there's a good argument that the Ninth Circuit was right today: Marriage is all about symbolism.

Here's a hypothesis: At this point, the government shouldn't be involved in endorsing some relationships by symbolically giving them merit as "marriages." Too many people don't take the institution seriously; it's not inherently tied to family-raising; it's biggest benefits to too many are to get tax benefits; and it needlessly forces the government to make a decision about who can get married.* Perhaps it is time that governments stop telling people what their families ought to look like and stop endorsing some relationships as better than others.

“I think the government should just be out of it. I think it should be done by the church or private contract, and we shouldn’t have this argument. Who’s married and who isn’t married — I have my standards but I shouldn’t have to impose my standards on others. Other people have their standards and they have no right to impose their marriage standards on me.” -- Ron Paul

*Even where governments allow same-sex marriage, there are family-relation restrictions, polygamy restrictions, etc. Obviously, there are reasons you can advance for why the government should promote two-person relationships rather than three-person relationships, but the fact that you have to make that argument is at least evidence that the decision has to be made.

Draft saved Draft deleted