1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why I love cross country

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ltrain1127, Sep 23, 2008.

1. lmcmillan33

lmcmillan33 Member

Three things completely unrelated to the topic I've wondered about in this thread:
    1. JV basketball games are played at opposite sites on the same night in some states? I kind of thought across the country JV games were played prior to varsity games. Seems to make more sense this way for a lot of reasons.
    2. Varsity football teams are allowed to play JV teams as a scheduled game somewhere? A lot of games end up the way in the second half around here, but varsity teams definitely have to play varsity.
    3. What kind of a deadline does a paper have that would be at the same time as cross country? Is cross country the only sport that competes at this deadline time (what about soccer or golf?)? How late does this paper come out or how early do they run?

2. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Did you make them?

Of course you did.

3. Scouter

Scouter Member

Was there any doubt?

4. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

I've seen it quite often in football where a small school varsity will play the JV from a larger school. This is rather common when you get out into that part of the world where travel time factors into making out a schedule. It also happens some in basketball where a school will throw its JV to the wolves to fill out a tournament bracket.

5. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

You need to ship some of those bitches Peoria way.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I ran cross country back in high school and the hard-core parents were obnoxious

Luckily my parents cheered me on and didn't care worry if my name wasn't in the paper. Maybe that cost me a scholarship? Nah, just the fact that I was one of the slow ones on the team.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I worked at an afternoon paper where deadline was noon and the paper was printed and on people's doorsteps by 5 p.m.

Could happen.

Also, I'd imagine with weeklies or bi-weeklies they print at strange times. I doubt too many weeklies own their own press and so they print at the nearby daily and have to print whenever they can get it in.

8. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Thinclads, bitches!

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

To answer your third question, we're a weekly, one of several that we publish. The deadlines are staggered, starting Tuesday afternoon until Wednesday afternoon. The paper hits the streets on Thursday. One of my papers' deadlines (last page to pre-press) is 4 p.m., Wednesday, about the same time to the cross-country meets are held.
    Soccer, field hockey, volleyball and golf games are held two or three times a week, usually on a Monday, Wednesday, Friday or Tuesday-Thursday rotation. Cross-country dual and tri meets are once a week, on Wednesday.

10. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I believe this is in reference to one of my posts, in which I said:
    "during basketball season, they're playing at the same time as the varsity in a different building across town."

In many parts (if not most) of Kansas, girls' and boys' basketball games are played as doubleheaders at the same site on the same night. In the Southeast Kansas League, girls play at 6 and boys at 7:30. The JV girls play in the varsity venue at 4:30 and the boys JV plays at the other gym at 4:30. Then, if there are freshmen games, the boys play at 6 and the girls at 7:30 in the other gym. One night, one town, two gyms, six games.

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Scouter, I just want to go on record as fully in favor of the synergy between your sig and sidesaddle. Excellent work.

Draft saved Draft deleted