1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why I love cross country

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ltrain1127, Sep 23, 2008.

1. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

Those aren't pillows!!!

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I would have yelled, "Where are all their state championships?" That would have shut them up.

3. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Fanboi loser letter aside, cross country makes for some good copy. Runners are somewhat esoteric, not to mention a little goofy. Good quotes. What other sport do the athletes actually rub off their toenails just by doing what they do?

4. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I'm with this albert ... what's wrong with talking to a lineman?

To be sure, Joe: If that "fat slob" of a lineman has signed with a D-I school, are you still going to ignore him?

5. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

There's the solution:

"Ma'am, we'll get back with your son in, say, 35 years for a really good centerpiece. Have a nice day."

6. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

On signing day, no. After that, yes. Wait, who am I kidding, I'm pretty much ignoring him on signing day too.

No seriously, the fat slob linemen don't get D-1 scholarships. If the kid that parent is writing about is true D1 linemen material, chances are pretty good we've mentioned them, time and time again...their parents aren't writing or complaining to us. Why would they have to?
    The fat slob parents are.

7. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I like covering cross country. It's fun to be around when the teams are good and contending for state championships. The kids do care just as much as the football kids, which doesn't mean they require equal coverage, but does mean there is plenty of passion, excitement and heartbreak to help color a story.

It doesn't deserve ink equal to football, but the venom here for the sport is stupid.

8. The Granny

The Granny Guest

I too enjoy covering cross country. The kids are great interviews, no big heads and any sports where mass vomiting and passing out in the chute is commonplace, well, I love it.

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

One reason I don't cover cross-country more is a practical one. The meets (the dual meets) are scheduled for Wednesday afternoons, at the same time as the deadline for one my papers. I have to be in the office at that time. I have no choice.
    Do you want me to cover the meet or do you want a paper on Thursday?

10. Scouter

Scouter Member

Granny, your sidesaddle is quite disturbing. Mostly because I was eating a chocolate chip cookie when I saw it.

11. Mark  DeCotis

Mark DeCotis New Member

We cover it. Last season kids from our county accounted for five of the eight individual state championships and two of the eight team titles. One school from our county has won seven state titles this decade and another is on a three-year state title run from its girls.

All total, schools in our county have won 101 state team titles with 32 being in cross country.

We even cover the preseason meets, I happily give up my Saturday mornings. It's a big sport here, not football, naturally, but it generates a lot of interest and certainly delivers at season's end.

Mark DeCotis
    FLORIDA TODAY

12. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

Great T-shirt slogan seen at a cross country meet:

"Our sport is your sport's punishment."

Draft saved Draft deleted