1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why I hate sports parents

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HC, Dec 22, 2010.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

It'd say it's more like 95% :)

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Wow, that blog was some painful reading.

He whines that the mother shared the agenda notes with her daughter. Well, duh, maybe she thought her daughter deserved to know that some parents of her teammates were trying to oust her, or to cut down on her playing time.

He also whines that they were going to just present the ideas to the coach as suggestions, with the coach having the final say, BUT that they would also base his decision on how they decided if their kids were going to continue playing. In other words, they told the coach, "It's her, or us."

And of course, he blames the media. Well there's a fucking surprise.

Put this guy inside a cage with that Michigan woman who wished the 7-year-old sick girl would die, and let them tear each other apart. I'd pay to see that.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I'd pay, too, if they did a slight rework of Mad Max's Thunderdome ... two turds enter, no turds leave.

4. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

They had the girl's mother on the radio in Toronto this morning - link below. I only heard about the first 30 seconds of it, ending with the mother saying "I'm sorry, I just got off the bus."

http://www.fan590.com/ondemand/media.jsp?content=20101223_092627_8448

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The one kernel of truth in the guy's case is that Kayla's mom does seem to be a piece of work herself, particularly for splashing this across the front page.

6. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

It's always the parents who want certain kids off the team. It's never the actual kids on the team.

7. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Playing time and tactics are completely out of bounds as topics of conversation between parents and coaches.
    That goes double when the subject is someone else's kid.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

That comment "I'm sorry, I just got off the bus" was just the beginning of about a seven minute interview with Jeff Blair. The mother comes off as perfectly reasonable

9. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

I listened to the interview after the fact. While she may have come off as reasonable, Blair kind of softballed it. It'd be interesting to hear her response to the lawyer's blog.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Do you know she was the source for the story?

If you listen to Blair's interview on the FAN, she comes off as a normal parent.

Your accusation that she's a "piece of work" is unfounded and stupid.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Easy, Tiger. I can reasonably guess that she was the source of the story, we know she cooperated with it, and by her own admission she put her kid in the middle of a dispute among grown-ups by showing her the e-mail. In that situation I'd be trying to protect my daughter, not show her "Here's how much he hates you."

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

You sound like an apologist for the lawyer.

He wrote the damn e-mail and then whines about Kayla finding about it --which she would have in any case. The guy acts like an absolute idiot and then claims victim status.

Besides Kayla, the person I feel sorry for is the lawyer's kid. He just found out his dad is a complete asshole.

Draft saved Draft deleted