1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why I hate sports parents

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HC, Dec 22, 2010.

1. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I know there are lots of stories about terrible hockey dads but this guy exemplifies 'douche' for me.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/article/910773--controversy-pushes-girl-off-coed-hockey-team?bn=1

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Re: Why I hate sports parents (and lawyers)

That dude is an idiot.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The league should have stepped in, and thrown the dad out of the arena. Permanently. If he can't behave in a positive manner towards the players, goodbye.

While the concern over the girl dressing near the boys may be legit (although why this is an issue in 2010 is beyond me), that father needs to be tossed out for displaying such poor sportsmanship. Otherwise, other parents will think they can do the same thing, and bully kids who they don't feel have enough ability into leaving the team.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

This guy is why we can't have nice things. It seemed clear from the story that this is not a level designed to be highly competitive.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The association's board and the lawyer dad should just leave the Earth. Waste of resources.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Disgusting, the lawyer is an absolute ass. Hey dickhead, your kid plays the lowest level possible, deal with it. You know what that means lawyer, your kid sucks and should just be having fun like the rest of them.

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Well, I hate to be devil's advocate here, but what the hay ...

I don't think the fact that he's a lawyer is relevant. I think the fact that he's a turd is more than enough.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Very common with minor hockey in Canada, and the lower levels can be the worst.

9. HC

HC Well-Known Member

True. Just feelin' pissy today, I guess.

10. JR

JR Active Member

It's not the lowest level.

It's the lowest level of competitive i.e A, AA & AAA hockey.

Below that you have rep hockey and house league.

One of my sons played A for one year and then AA until Midget.

The A parents were the worst.

They figured that since their kid graduated from house league they were on their way to the CHL.

The coach should have stepped in here and squashed the guy.

During tryouts for my son's AA team in Peewee and Bantam, both the players and parents tried out.

No matter how good a kid was, if it was apparent one or both of the parents was a douche, the kid wasn't going to be on the team.

11. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Somebody hacked the dad's professional website to include the header 'why I'm a douchebag.'

Also, those are quite mature-sounding quotes from the girl. Twelve-year-olds who speak coherently and in full sentences are rare. The cynic in me wonders if she was coached for the interview. Regardless, good on her for moving on.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Lowest competitve level I should have said. I have a lot of experience with minor hockey and honestly, the house parents and the kids "who should have made it" parents are the worst.

Draft saved Draft deleted