1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why I Hate Softball

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HeinekenMan, May 11, 2007.

1. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I don't care much for the dugout chants, either.

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

The back slapping thing is something about trying to get timing down, which is ridiculous because eight of the nine hitters are going to either bunt or "slap" bunt/hit anyway.

3. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

Doesn't softball have a pitcher's circle — not a mound?

I won't know until next year. Our school bored this year opted to offer it and baseball starting next year. :)

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

She should have got it done in March and April instead of waiting until May...

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Not sure which softball teams you've followed but in the day, I covered a nine-school county and among all those teams, maybe 80 to 85 percent of the girls were doing no such thing as you're claiming, "attempting to look like men." That's hogwash and you know it. If you'd made the same statement about someone who's black, or Hispanic or Asian, you'd be justifiably called a racist.

Since you're making it about women, it just makes you homophobic.

6. zagoshe

Oh you mean there are lesbians playing softball?

I never knew that nor could I tell by watching it.

Thanks for clearing that up.

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

And thanks for being a humorless, arrogant and hateful poster who feels it's OK to crack on lesbians or any woman he feels to be a lesbian.

8. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

I was just thinking the same way. Jesus, how freakin' annoying. But I do want basbeall teams to start doing this.

I actually like covering softball a lot more than I thought I would. Two good pitchers going against each other is nice, but makes for a boring game and even worse pics.

9. Meat Loaf

Meat Loaf Guest

Softball is very strange in my area. Most girls are not butch at all. The coaches have none of this "slap bunt" shit. They either swing the bat or lay down a regular bunt. Also, there is no chanting. It's great. Sure, they holler encouragement and shit like that, but no chanting. No rhyming.Although when an out-of-area team comes and does that shit, it's twice as bad just because everyone got used to not putting up with it. It's very tolerable to cover here.

10. zagoshe

You're welcome, is there anything else I can do for you today?

I'm actually all for lesbians, well, at least the kind I see on Cinemax late at night....

11. zagoshe

The slap bunt shit is the worst and it is the reason the game sucks in our area and in most areas except where it is played at an early age. Girls grow up playing slow pitch, never learn how to swing for fast pitch until ninth grade and by then it is too late because the pitchers are way ahead of them.

This, combined with a too-close pitching circle, makes for plenty of 1-0 games and not because the pitchers are all so dominant.

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Rather than come to a debate uniformed, I decided to do a little experiment. I went to the University of Alabama's softball home page and checked out the photo of every player on that team. Since the squad is ranked second in the nation, it seemed a good way to get an idea.

http://www.rolltide.com/SportSelect.dbml?&SPSID=37491&SPID=3037&DB_OEM_ID=8000&SORT_ORDER=1&Q_SEASON=2006

Just for yourself if this team is populated by a supposed load of butch girls and those trying to look like men.

Why so hateful zagoshe? Seriously?

Draft saved Draft deleted