1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why I Hate Softball

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HeinekenMan, May 11, 2007.

1. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

So, Team A has a dominant pitcher. She entered the state Final Four just three dozens Ks from setting a new state single-season record. She's nearly unhittable and has a state title in mind.

Problem is, the third baseman and shortstop make errors in the same inning. Team B scores.

Game over.

Pitcher finishes her prep career with a no-hitter but takes a 1-0 loss.

It happens in baseball, too. But it's almost common in softball and just doesn't seem fair.

2. Matt Foley

Matt Foley Member

Really, softball pitchers can throw no-hitters but still lose the game, man that sucks.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

And this is different than watching the Cubs play ... how?

4. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

As a lifelong Redbird, I recognize the similar misfortune.

I enjoy covering softball. I just wish I was covering a 5-2 game decided by actual hits. It bites when a state championship is decided when some girl with a .150 average slaps a bunt under the glove of an overweight third baseman. Someone asked me earlier this spring why every batter didn't bunt against the state's best pitcher. I didn't have an answer, but I'd rather watch a bowling tournament.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

"The name of the game is hit the ball, catch the ball, get the fucking job done." -- Lee Elia

6. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I thought you were going to say you hated softball because of all the butches and scary looking chicks that play it, all of the chanting that goes on in the dug out, the fact that nobody can get a hit unless they bunt because the pitcher's mound is too close and the fact that when they swing the bat in the on-deck circle they hit their backs.....

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Slightly more estrogen.

8. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I've never understood the hitting their backs thing. Why do they do that?

And the pitcher's mound is a joke. Those exhibitions where major leaguers strike out against top softball pitchers are so ridiculous. When the pitcher is 30 feet from home plate or whatever it is and throwing hard anyway, you practically have to start your swing in her windup and hope you're lucky enough that your bat just happens to end up at the same place as the ball. That's what I hate about softball.

Move the mound back 10 feet and I may care.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I was going to post something, but zagoshe beat me to it. Softball sucks because it's fucking softball.

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Is it homophobia season or baseball season? Just wondering.

11. mannheimadler

mannheimadler Member

I like covering softball except for one thing: Dugout chants.

They drive me crazy.

12. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Explain to me what homophobia is with regards to the women who play softball.

I assume they are all straight, they just attempt to look like men.

Draft saved Draft deleted