1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why I hate hometown announcers

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rhody31, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

Give me a Remy, Heinsohn, Derek Sanderson, and a Johnny Most and I'm happy.

I agree that last night Remy went overboard with that play......but IMO, he's pretty level headed and I've certainly heard him criticize the Sox when it's necessary.

2. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Not necessarily the case in my backyard when it comes to hometown prep radio guys. Most radio stations, if they're not covering the hometown team, go out and cover the neighboring town or any town within the area, and are able to keep their homerism and loyalty to their hometown team to themselves and not blast it on-air.

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

The problem was when Heinsohn was the national color guy for CBS. Talk about ridiculous. He really was a trooper. I can't imagine how tough it was for him to sound halfway objective during those Lakers-Celtics games. He failed miserably, but at least he tried.

4. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

If I'm watching a game where the local team is on a national channel, I'm almost guaranteed to switch over to the national broadcast when it's available. Sure, ESPN and whoever usually gimmicks up the game quite a bit and brings in too many guests, but it's better than hearing the stupidest arguments on the clearest plays.

5. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Obviously, threadstarter doesn't listen to Remy often.

He goes AGAINST the Sox more often than not, to sound like he's impartial. It's irritating.

Heinsohn on the other hand...he's fucking terrific.

6. I'm just the opposite.
    I get tired of hearing the same crap from the national guys doing the Steelers every week. I'll take the local guys on radio every week. Yes, it can be mind-numbing at times (Habeas grabbus!) but the info is not a constant regurgitation of the same stuff week after week that you get with the national guys.

Local guys give you local info.

7. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

I used to live within radio distance of NYC, and Jon Sterling made me want to hurl (yes, I'm a Red Sox fan).
    I also lived in St. Louis, where the radio guys refer to many Cardinals by their first name and frequently resort to "we."
    Jerry Remy suits me just fine.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

As a neutral, I would rank Remy in the top third of baseball announcers. He's reasonably impartial, but I can't stand the grab-ass he and Orsillo play on the air. Guys, nobody cares if you got lost on the drive from the park to the hotel.

9. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

Thank God I have Marty Brenneman. When Javier Valentin goes for his usual trot to first base during a close play, I know at least one person will be saying what I'm thinking.

10. KP

KP Active Member

Take your complaining over to remyreport.com and buy a scorecard.

11. Igor in CT

Igor in CT Member

Hawk. Harrelson. Ron. Santo.

'Nuff said.

12. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

I'll give you a Tommy Point if you can get him to STFU and never scream ticky-tack call again!

Draft saved Draft deleted