1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why I hate hometown announcers

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rhody31, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I'm watching the Sox-Rays game and Julio Lugo made zero attempt to slide into second base and instead directed his slide at Tampa's SS.
    Now I'm as big a Sox fan as you'll find, but it's blantant.
    Not to the President of Red Sox Nation, who just said it was a ticky-tack call.

I'll trade Jerry Remy for anyone.

2. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I've heard worse, but Remy does have his moments.

3. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

From an umpiring perspective, that's one of the easiest interferences calls I've ever seen. He had no chance at getting to the bag and didn't even make an attempt. Great call.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

One of the more unnoticed things in baseball is that the Rays and Red Sox seem to have some sort of blood feud. Even before this season when it mattered in the standings, they seemed to average about one brawl every other series.

5. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Suzyn Waldman?

Edit: Or maybe we shouldn't trade within the division.

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Most fans, I guess, like hometown announcers for the very reason you hate them, Rhody.

7. KP

KP Active Member

The play was clearly called correctly, but Remy did make a good point saying that there's a good chance that was only called interference was because of the history. That play, which should be called more often, only gets called a handful of times throughout the season.

But Remy nearly pulled a Heinsohn.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Still beats the hometown high school football radio types, though. At a stop in South Carolina, I ran into one crew that was self-deprecating, funny and very helpful. I also ran into another that was nasty, full of itself and wouldn't let the coach breathe - or allow the scribes to ask questions post-game. A colleague and I wanted to slug this guy ... and my colleague is about the last guy that would take a shot at anyone.

9. Sean Smyth

Sean Smyth Member

Nobody, nobody can pull a Tommy.

10. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Back when I was still a sports fan -- :) -- there were occasions when my NBA team would be on two different channels, the local station, and the national TNT/ABC broadcast.

I used to love to flip over to the local, homer announcers, because they would bitch about the officiating with me.

Those were good times.

11. KP

KP Active Member

That's why I said nearly.

12. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Tommy's in a class by himself.

Draft saved Draft deleted