1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why I drink ... phone calls.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Shoeless Joe, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I've had a couple of classics today.....

1. We do a little piece each day on our agate page called Remember When with something that happened 50, 25, 10 and 5 years ago locally. - (by the way, you would not believe how well read that thing is) - I research it a month at a time. We had one the other day for 50 along the lines of "John Smith scored 20 points to lead Team A to a XX-XX victory over Team B." I had a geezer call in today saying Team B didn't lose. That was his senior year. He remembered that game and they won. They trailed by 2 at halftime and came back to win ... yada yada yada.

I told him that I'd just have to take his word for it because I wasn't born. If he said they won, maybe they did and the paper got it wrong IN 1961! It took me 10 minutes to get rid of the guy.

2. Had a mom calling in complaining because we had agate results of a wrestling tournament from last Saturday, saying her kid finished fifth, not sixth, and he was heartbroken. I told her I had the official tournament results in front of me provided by the school, and it says sixth. Sorry.

We're not talking about him WINNING and us getting it wrong or even finishing fifth in the state or region. We're talking about the difference between fifth and sixth at one of a dozen tournaments they wrestle in a season.
  2. Kid was obviously lying and should be punished with a figure-four leglock.
  3. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

We had one like that second scenario a few years back. I think it was a track event. Mom called convinced her son had finished thrid not fourth like we had printed. Had the results in front of us, even told her where to find them online. She wasn't buying it. A coach even called later to say the same thing. Told him the reuslts say different. Mom calls back, still not budging.
    Come to find out, after an appeal, the second place finisher was DQed, and the results were never updated until two days later.
  4. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

What is it about the ego-maniacal parent calls that makes you never forget them? I had one very early in my career that stands out -- the idiot father of a pitcher from a U-15 summer league baseball team bitching that two plays should have been called errors on the third baseman instead of hits allowed by his son, the pitcher. Never mind that the guy's team won and his kid was the winning pitcher.

After several minutes of us arguing the merits of my scoring decisions, I finally just said to the guy: "Your kid was the winning pitcher, what difference does this make?" And the guy indignantly yells back: "It makes a difference in his pitching line!"

Surely I cost the kid a scholarship.
  5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

You did cost him a scholarship, Shirley.
  6. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

How about a DDT?
  7. Stuff like that is almost enough to make me consider drinking. Almost.
  8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

9. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Jeez, if you are going to go all out, give him a Shooting Star Press courtesy Billy Kidman (of course!).
  10. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Was the caller Joe Morgan?
  11. Brad Guire

Brad Guire Member

Joe, just to play devil's advocate, what if they guy was right? Not to add onto the chore, but what if there was a correction in the following edition? No offense, just sayin'.
  12. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I actually went back to verify, knowing I was correct in the first place, but it was easy enough to do. No. They didn't win. It was a 10-point game. The box score added up. It wasn't even close. Banner headline across the page because Team A defeated Team B.

As for playing devil's advocate, I'm sure they played twice that season. Team B probably won the second game. I'll run across it in a few weeks.
Draft saved Draft deleted