1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why I Defaulted on My Student Loans

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The student loan guy also signed a contract that spelled out terms in which he could opt not to pay back his loan.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The guy made a calculation that his life would be worse if he paid than if he didn't. It appears he was correct.

Was he supposed to suffer for years just because? Personally this wouldn't be my route, because good credit means too much to me, but if I ever got behind by an amount into the high five figures and could see more light in the tunnel by keeping the cash instead of feeding this construct of "good credit," I'd go that route in a heartbeat.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Is there an example anywhere of a contract breach under which there are no consequences? The clown advising others to default on student loans faces and acknowledges consequences associated with his actions..

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The "consequences" of dishonest behavior, are not what makes the behavior ethically wrong.

And if that is how you think, when someone else steals from you -- because they figured they could get away with it -- how do you feel about it?

5. Dick Whitman

What was the contract that we had entered together in that situation again?

6. The Big Ragu

I know zero about Brian Kelly's contract with GVSU -- or why we are discussing it in relation to something it has nothing to do with. But I do know that the Times writer did not sign a promissory note that said, "You can opt not to pay back your loan if you decide you don't want to." Which is what he wrote in that piece.

7. The Big Ragu

I don't understand what you are asking. Can you please explain?

8. Dick Whitman

Brian Kelly signed a contract. He could work for set amount of years for that employer. Or he could opt out of that contract and pay the consequences established by the contract.

Student loan guy signed a contract. He could pay back set amount of money to his lender. Or he could opt out of paying back set amount of money to his lender and pay the consequences established by the contract.

What's the difference?

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It isn't "when someone else steals from you." It's "when you lend your relative money and he doesn't pay it back."

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I'm sure he'd understand, then, if someone he's contracted to write something for decided not to pay him because the company was simply better served by keeping its money.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Sadly, that happens on a not infrequent basis with newspapers.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Which would be pretty funny if that's how it plays out if he hasn't been paid yet.

Ace likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted