1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why I Defaulted on My Student Loans

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

If Bank of America offered me a $200,000 mortgage - hell, a $2 million mortgage - and said, "Nothing happens if you don't pay it back," yes, I would "knowingly misreprsent [my]self."

2. Dick Whitman

Nay.

Good business.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Knowingly misrepresenting yourself for financial gain is not "good business." It's dishonesty. In the case of taking a loan you have no intention of paying back, it's theft. No matter how you rationalize it.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Is there any evidence that the guy defaulting on his loans was told "nothing happens if you don't pay it back"?

Ot isn't he just taking a chance and hoping for the best that "nothing happens" ?

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I take it none of you complaining about the author's moral failings...have ever been divorced?

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Well, that's still fraud even if the consequence would only be the loss of your credibility to whatever degree.

7. Dick Whitman

So Brian Kelly should be at Grand Valley State, not Notre Dame?

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I have no clue what the purpose of that question is. Is there a point?

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Did Brian Kelly receive money from Grand Valley State for any years he did not coach there?

Was the school not paid any buyout agreed to beforehand upon his departure?

10. Dick Whitman

Uh, oh, you broke the rules of the thought experiment. You aren't allowed to inject consequences.

11. Dick Whitman

I don't know. What if there wasn't a buyout, for argument's sake? What if Brian Kelly signed a five-year contract at Grand Valley State, then, two years in, simply walked away to Cincinnati?

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Why wouldn't he go to the school and negotiate a contract settlement if he wanted to leave early? Is that not an alternative in your hypothetical?

Draft saved Draft deleted