1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why I Defaulted on My Student Loans

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jun 9, 2015.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Who are those "same folks" you are talking about? I mean, maybe you can find someone like that, but if anyone really thinks that way or creates their own exceptions, based on who it is who didn't deal in good faith, they are not consistent or principled people.

Show me a corporation -- or ANY entity -- that borrows money and then intentionally chooses to default rather than make good on the terms they agreed to. I can't imagine anyone who agrees with me, creating exceptions based on who the deadbeat is -- business, individual or otherwise. If they do, there beliefs aren't based on any principle I relate to.

If anyone really thinks that way, it also doesn't justify or answer the question about why YOU (or anyone) are OK with someone stealing money by taking a loan and intentionally defaulting on it -- in THIS case. If someone borrowed money from you and promised to pay it back with interest, would you be OK with them deciding to make you eat it because they just didn't want to pay you back? Assuming you wouldn't be OK with that, what is different about it?

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

If someone told me today that there would be no consequences if I didn't pay back my loans - no credit hit, no garnishment, nothing - you better goddamn well right believe that the lender would never see another dime of my money.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Would you enter the agreement with or without the intention to honor it?

4. Dick Whitman

If there were no consequences and I was dealing with a sophisticated contractual partner?

Please.

Is that even a question?

5. The Big Ragu

You are saying that you would commit fraud if there were no consequences.

You are not alone. It's why we do have laws (i.e. -- the consequences), and lenders do their best to protect themselves (by relying on credit reporting, for example).

The ethical question about whether that is cool or not is a completely different issue.

6. Dick Whitman

It's not fraud. It's a contract.

I would also steal second base if the pitcher wasn't holding me on.

7. cranberry

Yes, it's a question. Why does the sophistication level of the partner make a difference? Are you suggesting there are certain types of entities with which you might enter a good-faith agreement but who somehow aren't worthy of good faith?

8. Dick Whitman

Yes.

9. The Big Ragu

Fraud is a deliberate deception to secure unfair or unlawful gain.

A loan contract lays out terms. When you sign your name to it, you agree to make a good faith effort to live up to the terms you agreed to. If you sign that without the intention to live up to your word, you are committing fraud.

sgreenwell likes this.
  10. Dick Whitman

"Fraud" is a legal concept.

"Good faith" has nothing to do with this. You sign a contract. You agree to honor the contract. If you don't honor the contract, this is what happens.

Do you think Brian Kelly should still be coaching at Grand Valley State?

11. cranberry

So you would knowingly misrepresent yourself in entering a contract to extract the benefits of the contract?

12. The Big Ragu

i.e. -- fraud.

Draft saved Draft deleted